two ㅣ that's a promise

"Sup, man," you shuffled into a seat next to Toby in the library. Not looking up from his book, he muttered a greeting. "What'ya reading?"

"Just a random book I found," he showed you the cover of the book.

"I didn't know you liked reading."

He shrugged, "I think reading about characters getting their happy ending is nice," he said solemnly. You frowned at the tone of his voice.

"Everyone gets their happy ending. If they're not happy, it's not the end yet."

"Not everyone."

"I'm trying to make it more positive in here, stop blowing up my attempts!" The students from a near table glared at your way, one telling you to lower your voice or leave. "Whatever," you mumbled.

"Don't be so mean. You're supposed to be quiet in libraries after all," your bestfriend said, going back to his reading.

"Everyone here doesn't deserve my respect, honestly. Not a single one of them tried to befriend you. You're awesome. They're missing out."

"What about your other friends?"

"Yeah, they're cool, but not cool at the same time, you know what I mean?"

"No," he deadpanned.

"It's like...they're cool to be around but they're not cool because they didn't approach you."

"Biased much?" He teased.

"Shut up and read," you said, pulling out your homework to be passed later on in the day. "I shouldn't have procrastinated. Regret."

Silence filled the air as you two concentrated on your work. Moments later, when you flip to the next page, your eyebrows furrowed in confusion. You suddenly couldn't a single thing written in front of you. You sighed and looked around, wanting to relax your brain. Your ears caught on with the snickering of the girls from the table next to yours.

"He actually looks decent. If he wasn't a freak then I'd probably date him."

Oh, hell no. You scoffed. Don't tell me they're talking about–

"Ticci Toby," one of them whispered. You turned towards their table to tell them off, but you saw one of your friends sitting there. You were planning your big speech that'll make them shut up when you felt a warm hand grasp yours.

"Hey. It's okay," Toby said. "It doesn't bother me as much anymore."

"But it bothers me. You heard it, right? They're insulting you. They're insulting my bestfriend," you seethed. "They don't have the right to do that. And I'm not going to sit here and do nothing."

You wanted to yell and make a fuss but you didn't want to get banned from going in the library.

"Calm down, woman. You look like you're about to start a war-"

"Damn, right I am. I don't like it one bit when they speak bad about you. They should take a look at themselves. And you even believe their words!"

"But I have you to make sure those thoughts are driven away, don't I?" He chuckled.

"Yeah. But still," you grumbled. You two sat there in quiet until Toby spoke in a hushed tone.

"Hey...You know, I've never thanked you. So, thank you. For looking past what others say about me."

"It's nothing," you waved your free hand nonchalantly. You looked at him and he looked like he had something else to say. "Come on. Spit it out."

"You won't..." He bit his lip. "You won't leave me, right?"

"What? Did you overdose on waffles or something?" You narrowed your eyes at him suspiciously. "Hell no!"

"Promise?" He took out his pinky finger.

"Yeah, yeah," you curled your finger with his. "And you won't forget me?" You said in a teasing manner.

"Never," he drew circles on your knuckles with his thumb. "And that's a promise."

dumbledivider.

040720

I'm thinking of writing books other than fanfiction. Should I? Is anyone interested? 👀