Love Struck - Ch.1

Chapter One       

            I wrapped my sweater tighter around me as I pushed my way through the crowd. I pulled my gloves on higher in case they were to fall off. I quickly shuffled into the library, finding the window with the bean bag next to it, in the far corner of the room. I smiled at the librarian and hurried to my safe spot, where no one could see, hear and more importantly, touch me.

Five years ago, my best friend Mitchell got his kite stuck in the big maple tree at the top of a hill. I, being the innocent and oblivious twelve year-old that I was, decided to help him get it back. There was a huge storm, and halfway down the tree, I got struck by lightning. The doctors said I was very lucky to have survived, and I was left with nothing but a small scar on my hip. It looked almost like a tattoo, a small blue lightning bolt about the size of a quarter piercing through a grey heart. My parents thought it was a tattoo because no scar could look like that, so accurate and perfect, but who gets a tattoo at the age of twelve? My blue eyes had changed too, streaks of vibrant yellow standing out like lighting through the sky, but I wore contacts to cover them up, so I wouldn’t attract any unnecessary attention.

I flopped down on the worn out bean bag chair and slung my bag beside me, pulling off my gloves. Digging out my laptop, I sat it on my lap and stared out the window, waiting for it to start up. It was mid-December, my favourite time of year. I could wear my gloves and long sleeved shirts without being criticized like I do in the summer. I wiped the fog away with my covered hand and peered out into the cold outside.

A minute later, I checked into my email. It was 3:15 and I was waiting for Mitchell, my best friend, to finish hockey practise. I sighed heavily when I noticed half my inbox was filled with messages from Brandon and Julia. They just didn’t give up, did they? Even though I had moved to Mitch’s school for a new start, they still followed me everywhere. It was like having two extra parents, each vying for my love. I guess my touch never wore off. The thought upset me, knowing that I would probably never be able to touch anyone without them falling in love with me. Even the girls, they didn’t fall in love with me romantically, but they all seemed to worship me, like I was some kind of goddess that walked the earth. I shuddered at that thought and then deleted all Brandon and Julia’s messages, not bothering to read them. I already knew Brandon would be sending me emails declaring his love for me with his horrible poetry, and Julia would be sending me worship emails, trying to suck up to me with loads of complements.

After deleting all my ‘junk mail,’ I clicked open my favourite website. Love Strikes, by LightningGirl372. I first started blogging was about a week after I had gotten struck by lightning. I was surfing the web when I came across the website, it was a virtual diary that random people on the web could read, without them knowing your identity. All you had to do was make an account and you could start blogging. Mitch had come up with my username as a joke, but I guess it fit perfectly. I had a lot of people following my blog; they seemed to find my daily updates amusing. Most people thought it was like a fiction story, but little did they know it was reality, my reality.

Love Strikes

Hey guys. So it’s been a full 8 hours since I woke up, and I have not been harassed or teased at all today, can you believe it? Ok, so maybe behind my back or whatever, but hey, what I don’t know can’t hurt me right? So anyways, my friend Mitch is at hockey practise, and I’m currently sitting in the school library, waiting for him since he’s my ride home. Can you believe it? It has been exactly five years since I was hit by lightning! Brandon and Julia are still going strong, looks like my ‘love touch’ still hasn’t worn off, not even in five years. I’ve tried changing my email, yet they still somehow manage to find me. Hmmm, I wonder if Mitch has something to do with this. He does find it amusing to watch me suffer, even though the whole ‘being struck by lightning thing’ was his fault in the first place. I know, I know, not the smartest idea to climb a tree in the middle of a storm, but that was five years ago!