Chapter 4: Who The Hell Are you?

Song of the day: Iron - Woodkid

So Annalise told Alex everything that had happened. She told her how Sam had cheated on her with one of his students, how he had got her pregnant. How the student had been murdered and how she had found Sam's lifeless body on the floor during the investigation. How she had found out that her students had killed him. How she had given Wes directions to destroy the body and hide the evidence. Why she had decided to protect Wes. Who he was to her. And she also told her about how she had framed Nate, her lover, with the help of Frank.

She told her how miserable her life has suddenly become. She confessed everything, not just facts, but her feelings and fears. While she was talking, she looked at Alex the whole time.

Alex listened patiently, nodding every now and then to ensure she's listening, never interrupted. Putting her hand on her mother's shoulder, she did her best to give her comfort.

"Now, you know everything," Annalise stated when she finished, pushing herself back against the headboard and closed her eyes as if she was waiting for a rebuke from Alex, "Say what you have to say."

When no reply came, Annalise slowly, cautiously opened her eyes and found herself looking at the tightly-shut eyes and furrowed brow of her daughter.

"Oh, Alex. I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" she kept repeating the words 'I'm sorry' as she held her tight and the tears kept flowing.

Alex could feel it all now. The pain, fear, loss, devastation, helplessness, the heartbreak that Annalise felt. She was cursing herself for leaving Annalise with that monster for too long, for never calling, for never asking how she was, for being a selfish bitch.

"Mom, it's alright. It's not your fault. It's not your fault!" Alex tried to calm Annalise down.

"No, it's my fault. All of it! I should have known... I should have... I should have stopped them, stopped him. I should have stopped him..."

"No, mom, you couldn't have known. None of it was your fault. Sam cheated on you and probably killed that girl. He deserved it. Okay? He deserved it. You couldn't have known..."

"But I..."

"You did what you had to do. It's alright. You have to calm down, okay? We have to think."

"Okay"

"We have to do something for Nate, mom."

"I know. But I... I... I have run out of... run out of defenses. I have run out of answers. I can't think anymore!"

"We have to get him out of there. He needs a strong defense. You and I, us being around him could be a conflict of interest."

"Yeah!"

Suddenly Alex had a brilliant idea.

"Mom, it must be someone we could trust completely. I know who it is."

"Who?"

Alex didn't answer but the sparkle in her eyes gave her idea away.

"NOOOO!" Annalise protested, "No, Alex! No, no, no, NO! My answer is no!"

"Mom, why not! She's brilliant!" Alex sat up on the bed, crossing her legs in front of her.

"No! I can't! I just can't call Eve out of nowhere like some creep. It's been ten years!"

"You don't have to call her. I have a plan. Trust me."

*******

Alex heard people talking as she walked down the stairs. She watched them from the stairs for a while, trying to guess who was who according to her mother's explanations.

"Nate's phone shows he talked to Rebecca the day Sam died. The police want her to come in as soon as possible. It's fine, Annalise can prep her." That was Wes, it was obvious.

"Frank says she hasn't left her room since Nate was arrested." And that could be Laurel. Michaela was also there, sitting and listening to the others.

"Aw. You know, we should all go give her a hug, thank her for saving our butts." And yes, that was absolutely Connor.

"You know what, I think you should!" she couldn't hold her comments anymore. She looked Connor right in the eyes as she walked into the room. Asher, Frank or Bonnie wasn't around, so she could talk to them without any secrets.

"Who the hell are you?" Connor asked with a sardonic expression on his face.

"Alexis Keating," Alex said, now it was her turn to smile cynically.

"Alexis who?" Michaela asked, screaming as if she saw a ghost.

"Keating. I'm the daughter of the man you have killed."

Everyone froze as Asher, and Frank walked in. Alex turned and looked at them smiling as if nothing had happened. Then she turned back to the confused four who were looking at her like they were about to begin sobbing.

"Who is she?" Asker asked Frank, whispering.

"She's Sam's daughter," Frank whispered back.

"Oh. Hi, I'm Asher Millstone," Asher said sincerely, reaching out for a handshake, "I'm so sorry for your father."

"Thank you," Alex smiled back, "I need to go out for a while. Please don't bother my mother with anything, she needs to rest."

"Your mother?!" Wes asked, bewildered.

"Aren't you a little too old to call Annalise your mother?" Michaela laughed.

"Aren't you a little too old to be so dumb?!" Alex glared.

Asher and Connor couldn't help but chuckle.

"I'm going to the police station if you need anything," Alex informed Frank and Bonnie.

"Police station?" Asher asked this time, "Is it about a case?"

Alex ignored his question.

"I mean if it is, shouldn't we deal with it? I mean, we are the Keating Five, right?!" Asher continued.

"Well Asher," Alex smiled with scary energy, "I am the Keating One!"

With that she walked out of the house, leaving a very confused crowd behind.

"Oh wow," Asher stated fascinated, "I guess AK Junior is worse than the original one."

*******

The door to the interrogation room opened and Alex walked in, facing a very tense Nate Lahey.

"Who the hell are you?" Nate asked.

"Who the hell are you?" Alex asked back, "Who do you think you are, pleading not guilty, pretending you didn't do it? You killed him!"

"I didn't kill anyone!"

"You think someone framed you?"

"Go ask Annalise that!"

"Why did you do that, huh? Because of her? Because you loved her so much so you hated the idea of any other man having her?"

"Who the hell are you?!" Nate asked again, furious this time.

Alex put both hands on the table and leaned her weight on it, looking into Nate's eyes. She made sure that her figure was blocking the security camera's view as she secretly dropped a piece of paper into his hands.

"I am the daughter of the man you have murdered," Alex smiled dangerously, "Trust me, you will see me again."

She turned around on her heels and left.

Nate slowly moved her hands under the table and carefully read the note:

"FIRE YOUR LAWYER. CALL 212-555-0192"

TBC...