→ six

Months dragged by as Klaus continued to postpone undaggering Kol.

Angel was slightly surprised Rebekah wasn't angry with her older brother but she realized that Klaus refusing to uphold his part of the deal wasn't too shocking. Growing up with him, he always did what he thought was best. Whether that was for his own personal gain or to protect someone he loved remained a whole different story. 

While Rebekah may have moved on from Klaus's empty promise, Angel found herself thinking of Kol every day. Rebekah loved to share stories of their past and, although Angel had heard Klaus's side of his story repeatedly growing up, she had never heard a different perspective or learned much about his family. The more Rebekah opened up to Angel, the more the young human learned about Kol.

To Angel, Kol was simply misunderstood by the rest of his family. Rebekah seemed to know her younger brother to most but even when Angel pushed for more answers, even she seemed to second guess what she remembered about her own brother. Angel just wanted to meet the boy, even just for a moment to know if he truly was as bad as she was told. In her mind, family was family no matter what.

Perhaps she was being too hopeful. Klaus always told Angel her biggest weakness was looking for everyone's redemption even when they didn't deserve it. Perhaps he was right but she refused to believe his brother was beyond saving. 

Despite wanting to help, Angel couldn't do anything to help as she felt each day drag on. She couldn't complain, however, as she had found two new friends she shared her boring days with as she stayed in the large, lonely manor. 

It had taken a few more weeks for Elijah to warm up to the brunette, which was understandable considering their past and the hardships their family had endured. During her afternoon walks in the garden, Angel often ran into Elijah, who she suspected was purposely trying to cross paths with her. Sometimes they played chess, other times they simply walked around as Angel admired the blooming flowers and Elijah tried to get to know her more. 

Rebekah had been much easier to win over. It was obvious the blonde vampire had wanted a sister since she was a little girl and Angel was more than happy to fill the role. She had often been lonely in the large manor when Klaus left her alone and she was ecstatic for someone else to spend her time with.

From the very beginning, it was obvious Rebekah lived for gossip and romance. Klaus had often commented on how annoying his sister could be but Angel found it quite adorable. All Rebekah wanted was someone to love her but was always held back by Klaus. Whenever she tried leaving the manor, Klaus was always there to stop her from going out. 

"Nik thinks I'm going to bloody lead another vampire hunter to our doorsteps," Rebekah complained to Angel after another attempted escape. The blonde huffed as she fell onto her own bed in a messy heap. "It was only one bloody time, I swear!"

Angel found herself having to comfort Rebekah until she forgot about the whole incident and began rambling on about something else. In Angel's mind, she thought the blonde should've stuck up to her family more than she was but understood why she didn't. Klaus had a nasty habit of daggering his siblings when they went against him and Angel was sure Rebekah had been daggered at one point or another because of a boy she fell in love with.

Despite warming up to the Mikaelson siblings, Angel could always feel the cold presence of the dagger strapped to her leg. She hoped to never have to use the dagger on them but the thought was always on the back of her mind. Too often she had witnessed vampires who seemed friendly enough turn into savage animals before she could even blink. Klaus had made bad judgment calls before on who to bring into the house and it had almost cost him dearly. Angel tried to convince herself that he was simply taking precautions this time around but deep down she recognized how dangerous his family was. 

No matter how many times Angel reminded herself how dangerous the Mikaelson siblings could be, she always found herself wanting to undagger the rest of them. Perhaps she was being selfish at that point, knowing she didn't want to undagger them just for Klaus's sake, but she thought she had the right to be selfish. Angel had never left the manor except for when she sneaked out. Klaus was too overprotective and it had cost her much. 

While she loved Klaus, she wanted her freedom too. Angel wanted to explore the world and meet new people. Everything from the outside world fascinated Angel but Klaus was too overprotective to allow her to live life to the fullest. It's why she often snuck out with boys often and ran into town to cause mischief. She hoped it would open Klaus's eyes but instead it only made him kill more people as he dragged her back to the manor. 

Angel decided she was going to be selfish as she made her way down to dinner that evening. She never asked for much and never complained to Klaus about anything serious. They had their petty fights and sarcastic comments, but nothing that warranted real fighting. Angel was sick of being told what to stay put and listen to whatever Klaus told her.

"When are we undaggering Kol?" Angel couldn't contain the burning question on her mind any longer during dinner as three pairs of eyes snapped to her. Rebekah actually seemed quite relieved that someone besides herself had asked the question, however, Angel didn't miss the secretive glances Klaus and Elijah shared. 

"We aren't doing anything," Klaus emphasized, letting Angel know she wasn't doing anything that had even the slightest outcome of her being put in harm's way. "And I told you, all in due time."

"You keep saying that but each time it's harder and harder to believe," Angel shot back. 

She wasn't particularly sure why she argued with Klaus on undaggering Kol. There were so many other ways to stand up for herself or other things to fight for that meant more to her, like traveling the world. Perhaps she felt she owed it to Rebekah or maybe she wanted another friend in the house. Whatever the reason was, she was sick of waiting for Klaus to fulfill a promise he had made months ago.

"I said I will," Klaus lied through his two front teeth, something that didn't go unnoticed by Angel. Klaus may have known everything about Angel but she knew him too. She knew what made him ticked and the tells he had, something she had seventeen years of her life to figure out.

"But when?" Angel pushed, not quite calling him out on his lie but she refused to let him wiggle his way out of the one thing she asked of him.

"I said soon," Klaus repeated, growing irritated with Angel's pestering. He knew he had made a promise but he was willing to break it to keep her safe. "Drop it."

"I just don't understand why we have to wait," Angel was beyond asking Klaus for anything. She just wanted to know why he wouldn't undagger Kol. She wanted to know why he was willing to break a promise he made to his family.

"I said drop it, Angel," Klaus snapped, his temper growing but it did nothing to stop the brunette as she pushed even further.

"You can't just-"

"I said no!" Klaus yelled as he stood up suddenly, sending his chair flying backward and he sent his tableware to the ground. His actions startled everyone at the table as Angel flinched back at the sound of the plates shattering.

Angel had never faced Klaus's wrath before and it wasn't something she ever thought she would have to endure. Klaus felt his stomach plunge as he watched Angel's face fall, her stubbornness disappearing as fast as it had appeared. He knew he had screwed up as he watched her hurt expression flash across her face before she let her anger take control, just like it often did with him.

Angel's face quickly morphed into a scowl as she threw her napkin on her plate and stormed out of the room, both hurt and angry at Klaus. She was so caught up in her own mind, that she didn't bother paying attention to anything but getting away from everyone and everything.

Angel missed the regretful expression on Klaus's face. She didn't notice Elijah stopping his brother from rushing after her. She missed Rebekah scolding her brother about his behavior towards the one person who brought the good out in him. 

Instead, Angel rushed to her room as a new plan formed in her mind. Angel knew it was a dangerous plan, and a stupid one too, but she was done waiting on Klaus's empty promised to his family.  

She was done being told no.