When Things Go Awry

Snufkin's eyelids fluttered open to the sounds of the morning; birds chirping, wind rustling gently, fish leaping out of the water. He sat up and stretched. Today, he thought, was going to be perfect. With that in his head, he went out to rub his face in the water. As he did, the sleepiness in him started to take effect, making him a little drowsy. 

Before he could do anything, his head felt heavy and he fell into the creek. With a gasp, he sat up in the waist-high water, looking around, trying to confirm what just happened. With a pant and a shudder, he climbed out of the water, onto the bank, now soaked.

"Snufkin!" Moomin called out. His fluffy friend went over and gasped. "You're soaked...!"

"Ah, I seem to have fallen in," Snufkin offered a chuckle. "How are you?"

Of course, Snufkin would push the topic away from himself. He always did since he felt he didn't want to make anyone feel bad for him. That would just be a feeling so awful. He stood himself up as Moomin told Snufkin about his morning as he wrung out his cloak.

"And Little My stole all of the pancakes...!" Snufkin heard as he focused his attention on Moomin.

"Ah, she always does," he smiled. He propped himself onto the bridge, taking out his fishing rod from his tent on the way there. He plucked the worm onto the hook as Moomin took a seat next to him.

"Sniff got mad, though," Moomin shrugged. "But he didn't do anything when Moominmama came out with muffins...!"

"Were they good?"

"Oh, the best!"

Snufkin smiled at his friend and threw his line out. Goosebumps rose on his skin as the wind made his wet clothes cold, but he tried his best to keep this out of his head. No, today was going to be perfect, he promised himself that. It's not like the Groke was going to come. He had to make do with what happens. "Snufkin, did you hear me?"

"Huh? Oh, sorry, what did you say?" Snufkin asked, his nose and cheeks glowing a little red. He wasn't aware he wasn't paying attention... did Moomin say something important? Wonderful, now his thoughts of his wet clothes distracted him from his friend.

"I asked if you were cold," Moomin tipped his head. "I saw you shiver a little."

"I'm fine," Snufkin gave a reassuring smile. "Nothing I'm not used to."

"Oh, but I'd hate for you to catch a-Snufkin! A fish!!"

The yelling of Moomintroll started Snufkin as he looked at his pole, it being tugged forcefully. Snufkin eased into the pole and started to quickly, but swiftly, pull the fish in from the water. However, this one was strong and wouldn't let go without a fight. Snufkin's pole bent further and further, Moomin swearing he could hear something... a crack?

"Come on..." Snufkin grunted, standing up a bit on his knees. The fish thrashed to and fro, eager to get the worm off the hook. Snufkin finally pulled the fish out, it flying in the air. It was a huge one, that's for sure...! A smile spread on Snufkin's face, following by a pale expression and a frown.

Crack!! went the pole. At least half of it. The fish fell back in the water, swimming off, hook and fish in its mouth, dragging the other half of the pole with it. Snufkin stood in place, the broken, smaller half in his hands still. He was silent.

".... Snufkin?" Moomin put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm... sorry about your pole."

"... what pole?" Snufkin shrugged. "I can make another, no big deal."

"But Snuf-"

"It's fine, Moomin," he gave another smile. "I promise."

Moomin looked at his green friend, then nodded. He knew everything wasn't fine, though. Snufkin's eye twitched a bit as he got into his bag, pulling out some leftover fruit jerky he had made and began to munch on it.