00 | prologue

[𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞]BEVERLY HILLS HIGHLOS ANGELES, CA

[𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞]
BEVERLY HILLS HIGH
LOS ANGELES, CA

SUNSHINE SEEPED THROUGH THE BLINDS INTO THE AIR CONDITIONED CALCULUS room at Beverly High. Davina Vicario could only daydream about the things she could be doing on a sunny, Friday afternoon while being stuck in her mathematics class. Her teacher, who could drone on forever about derivatives, was scanning the classroom every minute or so to make sure each student was taking advantage of the time given in class to work on tonight's homework. Sayda Ivie, a preppy cheerleader, nudged Davina's foot with her Louis Vuitton sandal and a wide grin on her face. Davina just knew she wanted something.

"What are the chances that the football team skips practice, and we all go to the beach?" Sayda questioned innocently, quirking an eyebrow up while her thumbs tapped away on the screen of her silver iPhone 11.

Davina's eyes scanned the clock on the wall which displayed the time 3:25, only five minutes till the bell rang. She closed her thick math-book shut before slipping her pencil and book into her name brand backpack. "Sayda, you know I can't. We have a test Monday, and I have to start studying. I'm Vice President of student council, so you know I have to watch my grades."

The teacher glared at the two teenage girls chatting in the back of the classroom. Her eyes seemed to scold them for talking instead of using classroom time to finish homework problems, even if it was only five minutes. Sayda looked up from her phone, rolling her eyes at her best friend's response. She crossed her perfectly tanned, toned leg over the other and leaned forward to whisper.

"You didn't say that last week on Tuesday when Jordan wanted some smooch time in the locker room." Sayda smirked and made a kissy face at her best friend, to which she just blushed in response.

Davina remembered sneaking away during the middle of class to surprise her boyfriend – it was true. What was supposed to be a five minute talk with her handsome, quarterback boyfriend turned into a 15 minute make out session, which she later finished in her boyfriend's room after practice. She barely arrived back to class in time to gather her belongings before the bell rang that day. As Davina began to replay the feeling of Jordan's lips on hers, the school bell rang. She carefully slid her homework papers in her backpack and swung it over her shoulder, slipping her other arm through the other strap. Sayda hurriedly threw everything in her bag and rushed after Davina through the crowd of students flooding out of their classrooms.

"You know, we can get some of your favorite ice cream? Does that convince you?" Sayda questioned with every intent to get Davina to accompany her to the beach.

"I don't know, Sayda." Davina doubtfully said while she walked down the hall towards her locker. "You know I haven't missed one day of school since middle school."