Chapter 2

Jasper Graves, or known to everyone else at the station as Ghost because that's what his name made everyone think of, brewed a large pot of coffee to kick start his morning.

It was around 6:30 a.m. and Ghost had already put in an hour long work out, ate breakfast, and was now brewing his second cup of coffee when his partner arrived.

Ethan Carter preferred his workouts in the afternoon. In the morning he preferred his sleep. Therefore, his morning routine typically consisted of waking up at the last possible minute, taken a decent shower to help wake him up, and a quick breakfast. His idea of breakfast was something you didn't need a fork to eat, such as an energy bar or a protein shake. The coffee came later when he arrived at the station and his early bird partner had already brewed it, like a good little boy.

The two detectives acted like a spoiled pair of brothers, constantly bantering and bickering but always making sure to have one another's back when it came down to it.

"What's the flavor of the cup today?" asked Detective Carter.

"The same as everyday," replied Ghost.

"Ah, French Vanilla medium roast. My favorite." Carter snagged his Superman mug and filled it nearly to the brim.

"I hope you spill," Ghost said as he watched Carter sip cautiously at the hot beverage.

"Well aren't you just the world's best partner," Carter said sarcastically. "I'd hate to know what you'd wish for if we were in a gun fight."

"A partner that could shoot better. That's what I'd wish for."

"You two done piddle-farting around and ready to get to work?" The Lieutenant interjected.

Lieutenant Marcus Reynolds was an older gentleman who was in better shape than both of the detectives. Divorced and married to his work, when he wasn't working he was working out. A serious man who didn't put up with the shenanigans very well.

"I've got something for you two to look into. Probably is exactly as it seems, but better to be safe than sorry," said the Lieutenant.

"What is it boss?" Carter asked.

"It appears to be another suicide at Sky View Bridge. Just verify it is and cinch this thing up," before the detectives could respond the Lieutenant turned his back to them and walked away.

When the detectives got to Sky View Bridge they had to figure out a way down through the trees, the few cluster of trees found in the city, and the way down that they found took them in the opposite direction of the bridge, so they were forced to hike a ways along the slow flowing stream of water.

Once they got back to the bridge they came across a white tent and their Crime Scene Investigative team. The tent was off to the side of the water and Ghost wondered if they had to pull the body out of the slow stream or if that's where the body had landed.

A short balding gentleman with round rimmed glasses greeted Detective Carter and Graves upon their arrival, "Hello detectives." His nasally tone made it sound like he was slightly annoyed at their presence.

"Spencer," Carter said.

Spencer Eddington was as creepy as they came. There were rumors that flew around the department that he was into the macabre. People believed he smuggled evidence from some of the higher profile cases to keep in a collection at his home. No one ever looked into it because he was so good at his job. Instead, the administrators went with the whole ignorance is bliss philosophy and never bothered to inquire about it.

The rumors were fitting for Spencer. He was considered to be the number one Medical Examiner in the whole state, so it only made sense that a guy who analyzed dead bodies for a living dabbled with some of life's darker offerings.

"What do we have?" asked Ghost.

"A pretty evident suicide. Which is why I don't understand why you two knuckleheads are here? Your services aren't needed," sneered Spencer.

"Can we just see the body?" Asked Ghost.

Spencer pointed to the white tent, "I'm sure you can guess where it's at. Just don't touch anything."

Neither of the detectives bothered offering a response. Instead they made their way over to the tent. As they did so Carter glanced at the sky where yesterday's rainstorm lingered, held back back by looming clouds, threatening to return in full force today.

"Better make it quick to avoid getting showered on," remarked Carter.

"Agreed. I'd rather not climb back up that hill sopping wet. We'll leave Spencer and his team to play in the mud," said Ghost.

Agreeing to a speedy examination, the pair of detectives lifted the flap and entered the tent.

Inside laid a large man with a muscular build through his shoulders and chest, but somewhat of a belly bulge through the midsection. Regardless of the thicker belly, the man didn't look like someone who could be thrown easily from a bridge.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" asked Ghost.

"That there's no possible way someone threw Andre the giant here off the bridge? That's what my thoughts were," remarked Carter.

The burly man was laid on top of a body bag that was unzipped and ready to be closed. A small battery powered lantern hung strategically from a hook at the top of the tent, that shining against the white canvas, illuminated the small space well.
Well enough that the detectives were able to see, distinctly, the colors of the man's maroon sweater and blue faded jeans.

They took a couple minutes to examine the body and didn't find anything that wasn't consistent with the theory of the man jumping off the bridge. In other words, they couldn't find any evidence suggesting foul play.

Back outside they approached Spencer again, "What information can you give us on his identity?"

Spencer rolled his eyes and referenced a clipboard he'd been carrying, "His name's Paul Hubert. Recently divorced. Worked as a welder for Metal Benders Welding Group, but was let go not too long ago for one too many 'no shows.' It all fits with suicide, so close your case file and move on."

That's exactly what they did. They paid a quick visit to the ex-wife, Michelle Carver now that she was no longer Mrs. Hubert, who confirmed Paul's history of mental illness and put the final nail in the coffin to seal shut their case.