The Curse Of Two

Two received this marvelous power right when they came to exist.

The ability to build skyscrapers in seconds. The ability to move entire forests back and forth. The ability to draw out lava from a volcano and manipulate it endlessly. The ability to turn the sun into anything they would like. Two could do anything and everything with ease.

They had the limitless power for years.

One day, they had woken up, shaking. They just had the worst nightmare.

A dark, shadowy creature had been chasing after them. Two tried to use their powers to fight it off, but the powers were working against them. Strangling them, tripping them, paralyzing them. They had managed to fight it off before the monster had got to them, but it happened over, and over again, each time they were sure that they were going to die. Eventually, the monster had cornered Two. Their powers were useless. The monster was just about to end Two when they had woken up.

Two stayed in their bed, trembling and speechless. They wouldn't move. The fear that the monster was somewhere was rooting them to their place.

They had stayed in the bed for fifteen minutes, waiting for the monster to get them. When they were completely sure it wasn't going to come, they slowly sat up. Their eyes darted around the sunlit room, scanning for any monster lurking around. They didn't see anything, so they slowly got up and made their way to breakfast.

"Two's here!" said their sibling, Three, when they emerged.

"And about time." Another, Six, mumbled. "We found this taped to the door. It says it's for you." They gestured to an envelope on the counter.

"Thanks guys." Breakfast was already set out on the table, so Two grabbed a plate and helped themself. They were about to head back to their room when they heard a small screech behind them. They turned around to find another sibling of theirs.

Four was a quite peculiar sibling. Their powers consisted mainly of painful tactics, such as rearrangement, energy beams, imprisonment, and of course, the paralyzing screech. They only had one positive power, bringing anything back to life. Four usually acted as if they were slowly going mad.

But it might not have been an act. Two wouldn't know.

Four stared directly into Two's eyes, a thing that had always scared them.

"Mom said we had to stay here and eat today." Four said, monotone. Two blinked, then smiled.

"Alright then! I'll eat here." They walked back to the table and sat down. They chatted a bit, finished their breakfast quickly, grabbed the envelope off of the counter, and walked back to their room. The image of that monster danced in their brain throughout it all, but they pushed past it and kept up their confident manner.

Once Two got back to the room, they sat on their bed and opened the envelope. There were two papers inside, a letter, and then a dark picture. They decided to read the letter first.

Hello, Two.

For years you have been granted a limitless power. It must have been bliss. I have gifted your family powers for years and will continue to for ages to come. Yet, I have been doubting your power. I've sat and pondered for far too long about whether you deserve this endless, limitless power. As a result, I have decided to add something to your power from afar. A small part of it has already come into effect, and as soon as you read this letter, and look at the picture, it will fully come through. This is just a precaution.

Do not inform anyone of this.

Many regards,

Your best friend.