Dropping The Bomb

Corey

Although we had time before the baby got here it sure seemed to be flying by. We got home from Sochi at the end of February and in the blink of an eye it was already April. March whisked on by as we got adjusted to being back in the states then got ready to adjust again. With so much going on we barley have any time to think. The baby will be here in less than 6 months and we needed just about everything. All we had was goalie stuff for it to wear, nothing else. And I'm sure we will get a lot of things from the baby shower and once we find out the gender and pick out a name it'll be easier. But we haven't even told our friends yet.

And we had our chance to tell the world when a production crew with ESPN came to the apartment. They were doing a piece on the first woman to coach in professional sports and most likely the first ever woman full time player once the time comes. She has been in high media demand since the infamous food poisoning game and with the Olympics the attention only grew. And while she doesn't mind it she would rather let her actions do the talking. She's coached a few games already and did a interview with NBCSN who covers the nationally televised games which the Hawks were often a part of. But this interview was bigger than her and this game and that's why she wanted to do it. That and so they would quit asking.

"How do I look" she asks as she holds her arms out. She had on her team USA jersey and did her hair and makeup for once. She just got her hair cut because it was getting long and she liked it above her shoulders at least. I think she looked good no matter what, but the short hair made her look extra cute. You couldn't see the baby bump with how big the jersey was but if it was any tighter it would be noticeable. In a week I swear she started to pop, that's how I knew we couldn't keep this a secret much longer.

I just smile as I look her over as many times as I can without getting in trouble. "You look beautiful, like always" I promise.

"Sweet. I think I'm ready then" she nods.

She goes and sits in the chair set up for her in her childhood home. They got a tour of her room and all her accomplishments in there. The jersey she wore when she played with the Blackhawks was on the wall and all her medals and trophies she's won around it. Even the people at ESPN was impressed, that's saying something.

So they start the interview and she gives a run down of the decision she made to coach instead of compete. She promises everyone that she will keep working and doing things that would make her transition to being a athlete easier than it was the last time.

Finally we get to the point where the bomb was going to be dropped.

"Do you think you're going to regret your decision not to ride this wave of being one of the worlds best athletes right now" they ask her. She gets that smile as she looks at me for a second. I knew what was going next.

"No, not at all. Being a coach allows me to grow my knowledge of the game in a way I haven't had the honor of learning before. And it also gives me the ability to have this baby and still be a part of hockey in my city" she explains.

The whole room dies off as the camera people and lighting people stop. Everyone just stares at her as she smiles like she didn't just drop a huge bomb.

"I'm sorry, you're pregnant" the interviewer asks her.

"A little over three months along and loving every minute of it" she smiles as she sets her hand on her growing belly. You can really see it sticking out through her jersey when she tightened it and that made me smile.

"Wow, I did not see that coming" he admits and I laugh. She did have a thing for the dramatics.

"Yeah well neither did we" she laughs.

"Is it yours and Corey's" the man wonders.

"Yup. Our little goalie baby" she cheers.

"So if you're three months then you were pregnant in February when you were playing in the Olympics" he notices.

"Well I guess that makes it a gold medal baby too" she smiles.

"On behalf of America congrats and we are really happy that you were able to bring us such joy and happiness even though the odds seemed to be against you. We are so happy for you guys and hope you both are healthy" the man insists.

They finish with interview before packing up everything and leaving us be. I pull her into a soft hug as she rests her head on my chest. "You know we should probably tell the guys, they're going to be mad if they find out with the rest of the world" she mentions.

"Yeah, you're probably right" I laugh.

So we head over to the United Center where there was a 2 o clock practice. These were rare but in season when we don't have games back to back or traveling like crazy we try to practice a little later so guys can sleep in.

Sam and I walk in and find the guys getting ready for practice.

"Hey Sam, why don't you lace up with us today" Jonny asks.

"No can do" she replies.

"What, you're too good for us now" he jokes.

"No... because I'm pregnant" she says.

Most of the guys continue on because we joke about this kind of stuff a little too much. But not Jonny, he took everything seriously and this was no exception.

"No you're not" he insists.

She lifts her shirt up and reveal a little baby bump. And for the first time in most of these guys' life, they were speechless.

"No way" Kaner gasps.

"How does your baby bump have a six pack" Sharpy joins in and I laugh.

"Because I'm going to keep working out and doing what I can to stay conditioned so once I have the baby and recover I will be out here with you guys. But for now I think it's better if we sit this one out" she explains.

"God that kid is going to have goalie talents like no other" Jonny claims.

"Yeah no kidding" Kaner shakes his head.

"And what if it doesn't want to play hockey" she asks.

"Yeah that's impossible" Sharpy claims.

"Well whatever it wants to be we will support it" I insist.

"And we will be there for you guys. We promise" Jonny smiles.

What a captain he is.