The Catacombs

Kova

Seeing Annette is enough to make me want to throw myself off a bridge. My own mother is nothing but a shell of lies and selfishness. For a split second, when I saw Ten, I thought, "At least I have a friend in the arena," before I realized I didn't. All I am to Ten is a deal to uphold, and when he almost slipped and called the king by his name – Ezra – he lied about it. He probably lied about never meeting him, too. Nothing about his back story made sense, and it just reminded me that Ten and Annette are more alike than I am to Annette, and she's my own mother.

After being beaten by someone like Annette and getting caught in this intricate web of deals and conditions, I guess I just exploded. I'm tired of all this cunning thinking and underhanded trades. I just want a normal conversation for the first time in my life.

And as I pick at my breakfast in the cafeteria, Ajax sits across from me, slamming his tray on the table, sending bits of his food everywhere. Throwing himself in his seat, it's hard not to stare at the purple-blue bruises fitted on his neck like jewelry. Was Ten really going to pointlessly kill Ajax? I'm not a big fan of "tradition and honor," but getting rid of Ajax like that isn't right. We're all just trying to survive. If I had the chance to kill Josephine, knowing she's my #1 anti-fan, I still wouldn't. Debilitate her ability to kill me in the arena? Probably. But kill her in her sleep? No.

"Helping me doesn't make up for foiling my plan to kill Ten earlier," Ajax spits, lips curled into a sour scowl, adding 10 years to his already mature appearance. "In fact, it's almost like you pitied me, and I hate that the most. It makes me want to tear you open and frame your insides on my wall."

"A bit graphic," I mumble, doing my best not to imagine that scene as I chew on my eggs. "I expected nothing less coming from you, though. So, why are you here?"

Shrugging, Ajax forcefully stabs his sausage and chomps on them like a dog with teeth too big for its mouth. "Just wanted to set you straight before you got any ideas."

Curiously, I perk a brow up. "Like what?" It's a bit scary to imagine what goes on in Ajax's mind, but getting a glimpse of his imagination seems like a good diversion from the burning welt on my face.

"That we're a team or something," he instantly defers. "But there's no way I'd team with you ever. I'd rather send you to the catacombs."

Narrowing my eyes at the mention of catacombs, I pause mid-chew. When I think of catacombs, I think of skulls and bones creating underground tunnels. I've been living in these tunnels for a few days now and I've never seen such a thing. Where would the Colosseum even have room to add catacombs of all its victims, anyways?

Sensing my confusion, Ajax leers with cheap pride, leaning over the table and lowering his voice. "Never heard of 'em, huh? If you get close to them, you'll hear the screams of past players. Once, someone even got lost down there...disappeared without reason, only leaving behind a bloodied scrap of shirt." Grinning like a maniac, I wouldn't be surprised if Ajax shoved the previous gladiator down there and locked him in.

"Bull," I call, slapping my fork on my tray. "You're just trying to creep me out, even though you do that on your own plenty enough." It's probably why his approval rating is 72% - even though he's ridiculously good looking, people still see his sliminess oozing at the seams.

"What? The desert girl is afraid of a bit of darkness?"

I can see where this conversation is going, and I want to continue pushing it in that direction. Egging him on, I cross my arms and snort. "Of course not. Not as afraid as you probably are, at least."