07| in the great scheme of things

CHAPTER SEVEN
in the great scheme
of things

Adventure's and wood-life journey's never failed to feed colour to Eleanor's lonely soul. The Winter snow had officially melted away and pathed the way for Spring; how much of a golden bliss it truly is. The sight from above-clawing branches from the thin, yet thick, woods appeared almost serene. So delicate as the morning sun kissed the tips of the old arms of the trees.

Eleanor had weaved her merry way around the woods as her light feet felt the wet grass which birthed morning dew below. A couple of days ago, she had visited the March's and had heard the news of Meg's leaving for some coming out party. It must be dazzling there-- Eleanor could almost imagine the golden specks decorating the outline of the rich oak door. Freshly painted and intricate design spiralling the winding poles. She lowly sighed at the thought and continued to hike through the spikes of grass which gently poked her bare feet. Eleanor knew it wasn't wise to prance around the treacherous season with only her skin, having no protection keeping her away from potential injuries and easily avoided accidents.

But then again, when feeling the pure beauty of Spring, you can't just filter it with the dull soles of shoes. For you cannot truly feel the raw bed of the Earth, once again bursting with new life. Freedom is in Eleanor's nature. Laws, rules, and deadly restrictions kept her soul empty and bound to decay.

Nevertheless, Eleanor weaved in and out of the branches and found her way towards the Laurence's home. In the line of the horizon, Eleanor spotted a carriage and a sort of gathering of people. Though, she grinned and picked up her pace when she recognised the surrounding group as none other than the March's and Laurence's. Eleanor found a particular comforting spot towards the two families, a sort of haven from her loneliness. She believed she lived in solitude, to be content with the fact she's alone and chucked away to fend for herself. But as she ventured out all of a sudden with these people, Eleanor began to doubt herself. A true eye-opener for Eleanor, having been plunged in a technicolour world filled with friendship and so much . . . care.

Eleanor walked up the grassy slope of the entrance to the Laurence's and approached the cluster of people, recognising them as soon as everything came into sight. She halted in the patch of grass just before the pathway where the carriage settled, and her eyes subconsciously drifted towards to Mr Laurence. And to her pleasure, she met his gaze as both of their faces lit up in recognition.

'G' morning!' Eleanor happily called out, though, she shied away when she realised everyone else looking at her. Attempting to reduce the awkwardness she had planted, Eleanor coughed in her elbow. She laid eyes on Laurie and in the matter of the moment, she threw a timid wave.

'Hi, El,' Laurie greeted with a smile, turning away from Jo for a fleeting moment. Eleanor examined the two, and from the looks of it, she assumed they were playing ninja.

'Hello.' Eleanor replied, scratching the back of her sweaty neck. She met eyes with Jo, and the tips of her lips perked upward. 'Heya, Jo.'

'Hi, Eleanor,' Jo responded, just as pleasant.

Eleanor moved forward as she picked her ragged dress up, leaving Laurie and Jo alone, and averted her attention towards Mr Laurence. She brushed out her muddied dress and unfolded it's crinkled creases, in a hurried attempt to seem presentable. 'Sorry, Mr Laurence. I look quite a ruckus right now... but I kinda just wanted to come along 'n' bid my farewells, y' know, figuring I have time before my mum comes venturing out for me since I haven't come home to drop off the next batch of carrots yet,' Eleanor swallowed her words.

Mr Laurence laughed at the girls squabbling and spoke. 'It's quite alright. You're welcome anytime,' he said reassuringly.

'Thanks, sir,' Eleanor pleasantly thanked.