The Festival

Rian
He stared into the fire, watching the flames rise and fall in rosy waves, never in the same pattern. His mind had reached every possible corner of thought. His Father's scarred face kept popping into view, his ice-blue eyes piercing him as if he were really there. He shook his head, trying to escape the repeating visions of the Hunter enclosing his Father into his long, wrinkled arms and pulling him into the stupid gobbles.
"Rian?" He looked up. Deet's dark, wide eyes fell upon his own. Even in the dark night, he could see the purple creeping into her dark pupils, touching her iris. The Darkening, touching her mind, soul and even her pure existence.
"Rian?" She nudged him with her foot. His head snapped up towards her.
"Sorry, I'm... tired." He answered. She put her head on the side.
"You've been crying, haven't you?" She said softly. Rian cursed silently. He was meant to be there for Deet, not the other way around. His Father had been lost almost two trines ago, and he was still weeping over it like a childling.
"Fine, yes. I was crying." He rubbed at his cheeks, trying to dispose of the ruddy trails staining his dirty face.
"There's no shame in it, Rian." She told him. "My Fathers cry all the time."
"Your Fathers aren't the leaders of the resistance," he muttered.
"You're doing so well with it all. It's completely fine if you just want to let it all out sometimes." Deet smiled at him so softly he felt something in his chest twitch. "I'm always here for you." She whispered this. Rian's eyes passed momentarily over her petite lips, then back to her soulful eyes. He knew he could trust Deet. He had put his life in her hands before and never doubted it for a single second.
"It's so lonely, Deet." He blurted finally. "I have all of these emotions building up inside of me and they're all trying to come out at the same time, but I just wish they would slow down and let me feel something... something clear for once," Deet's brow furrowed ever so slightly.
"You're not alone. You have me and Brea, Gurjin, Kylin, Naia, even Seladon!" She rubbed his arm. Part of him wanted to tell her, no, this isn't right, what about Mira, I shouldn't have anyone I value while I'm in such a vulnerable position like this, but other parts longed to just hold Deet's hand for just a small second. To be with someone.
"What is it?" She asked him. Oops. He'd been staring for a little bit too long.
"It's late. Let me walk you home." He offered. Rian jumped to his feet and held out his dirty hand. Deet smiled up at him and took it gleefully.
As Rian walked her home, his mind finally settled on one thing: Deet. The guilt of Mira's death touched the edges of his thoughts, but that was almost three trine ago. He had to let go of his past. His mind finally returned to his fingers clenching Deet's. He felt his ears reddening and let go clumsily. She glanced at him, her ears drooping slightly but remained silent.
Finally, they reached her house.
Rian did not want her to leave, but felt she must rest, to finally have a break from the darkening as she dreamt. Deet turned to him as she reached the door of her and Brea's hut.
"Thank you, Rian." She blurted. "You understand you can talk to me anytime you like, don't you?" Rian studied her dark eyes. He saw something in them, other than the purple veins creeping towards the centre. Something light. Something... hopeful. Deet believed in him. She knew he would lead the Gelfling into victory, finally into peace.
"Thanks, Deet. What would I do without you?" She giggled.
"Probably walk around a lot more than you do." Before he could react, she planted a quick kiss on his cheek and rushed into her hut.

"Rian! Rian, wake up!" Gurjin shouted down his ear. He merely stirred, rolling over on his straw mattress and muttering something under his breath. Kylin finally picked up a pillow and whacked him over the head with it, hard.
"Ow!" Rian cried, bolting upwards.
"Come on, get dressed! We have to help set up the festival, remember?" Gurjin said, pulling on his socks.
"We really shouldn't be having a festival in a time like this," Rian mumbled, running to get his shoes from the door.
"Cheer up, Rian," Kylin told him. "Just think of it as a distraction. I'm sure the Skeksis aren't going to burst through the door.
"But they always could," Rian snapped. Kylin shook his head. Seeing his temper rise, Gurjin approached and put a calming hand on Rian's shoulder.
"Come on, Rian." He said quietly. As a three, they walked out of their hut.
Stonewood had never seen such a festival. Gelfing rushed around like there was no tomorrow. They were hanging banners, setting up the music stand, laying out food and even painting their houses. It was sickening. Rian knew they should stay silent, undetected as they planned their next attack on the Skeksis. They couldn't stop to have pointless festivals and play music as loud as possible.
"Rian!" He turned. Deet and Brea were walking towards him. Deet had threaded both of their hair with flowers, green for Deet, blue for Brea. She grinned at him mischievously and ran at him. He suddenly noticed the bundles of flowers in their hands.
"Deet, no, Deet!" She lunged at him and knocked him to the ground. Brea and Gurjin ran over and pinned him down as Deet carefully twisted the flowers into his tangled brown hair. She clambered to her feet and helped him up.
"Fabulous!" She laughed. Brea looked at Kylin and Gurjin, holding flowers in her own grasp. Kylin sighed and took the flowers on his own and placed two behind his ears. Gurjin's eyes darted nervously to the fushcia roses in Brea's hands.
"Oh, Naia, hello!" He cried, waving into the distance. He turned back to them. "Got to run!" And so he did. The remaining Gelfling burst out laughing. Rian's mood had immediately lightened. All because of Deet.