Her Genie

You were gowned in luminous silk, the hem of the fabric glided over your ankles as your feet carried you through the garden at a quick pace. The strangers close behind scurried into the grounds like rats, their footsteps trampling over our precious plants and freshly mowed grass. Their dark, menacing voices echoed through the night.

"There she is!"

"Don't let her escape!"

The tips of tree branches and shrubs grazed the skin of your bare arms and legs. The garden which, during the daytime, always blossomed with beauty and vivid colors now looked frighteningly dark and unwelcoming. You fixed your eyes on the large front gates of the castle, which were still a good distance away.

From the corner of your vision, you saw one of the strangers leaping out from behind the shrubs with dangerous-looking weapons in his hands. Only his eyes were visible through the black mask he wore, an evil glint inside of them.

You turned in the opposite direction, only to be met with the figure of another man running right towards you. Your body filled with panic and you froze for a moment, observing the flora that surrounded you.

This gave the strangers time to close in on you. They raised their weapons towards the sky, aiming them in your direction and slashing them through the air violently. However, to their surprise, their weapons collided with absolutely nothing.

You weren't skilled at all at tree climbing, but at that moment you had risked everything and jumped towards the closest branch, grabbing onto it with both hands and hoisting yourself up carefully.

The men beneath you yelled in frustration, but did not give up so easily. When they dug their nails into the trunk of the tree, you took a deep breath and moved another branch higher. And then another. This time, however, your grip was far too weak and you felt your hands slowly slipping from the rough surface of the tree branch. There was nothing you could do. You gave in to the gravity that was pulling you down with extreme force. You fell.

You fell for what seemed like several minutes, and landed in the arms of someone you knew very well. A person you trusted with your life.

"Sneaking out again, huh princess?"

Uh oh. You were busted.

Park Jimin, your personal bodyguard, smirked at the embarrassment on your face before putting you down gently.

"Give me a minute, princess," he whispered in a gentle, silky voice, and with a bow he turned away from you and faced the intruders who were trembling with fear at the sight of him. A third one appeared, and after taking in the current situation, he began retrieting slowly.

Jimin was also shaking, but not with fear. It was anger. He jerked his head to one side with a crack and balled his hands into fists.

He didn't wait for the intruders to make the first move.

He went after them, showing off his eight years of training in martial arts as he battled and fought the man closest to you to the ground with ease. The other two both swung their weapons in his direction at the same time, but Jimin was faster. He did a somersault, dodging their attacks and kicked the bigger one in the shin. He then pulled the shorter one by his coat and sunk his knee into his stomach with incredible force, earning a howl of pain from the man. He let go of him, and the man fell on his feet and begged for mercy.

"If you ever make another attempt to harm my princess, i'll make sure you never see daylight again." He spoke through gritted teeth.

After the group of men had fled, he returned his attention to you. He examined you with his sharp eyes, expecting an explanation for everything that was happening.

"All i wanted was a few hours of freedom," you protested, "I'm tired of following the same routine, the same rules... I- I'm sorry..." your voice trailed off as your eyes landed on the fresh wound on his shoulder. He was injured. He was bleeding, and it was entirely your fault. If you hadn't been so reckless, none of this would've happened. You knew that the shame and guilt would haunt you forever.

"Oh princess," he chuckled lightly, his eyes turning into crescents as if he was in no pain at all, "You know I won't forgive you so easily."

He came closer to you to so that he could remove bits of bark from your hair and adjust the crown that was edging over your forehead.

"Why are you still here, Jimin?" you asked him desperately, voice cracking slightly at at the mention of his name, "why don't you just quit? Go live a normal life, hang out with your friends, find someone to love. Aren't you tired of being trapped inside the walls of this castle with me?"

"Princess... my job is to protect you." He said softly, focusing on pushing a strand of my hair behind my ear. "To get rid of anything that causes you pain, scares you, or makes you feel anxious or distressed. I'll protect you from every bad thing in the world."

"Even from yourself?" you whispered.

He looked at you, eyes flashing with worry.

"Because if that's the case, then i don't want to be protected."

He furrowed his eyebrows at your statement and his expression saddened.

"Have I hurt you, princess? Do I scare you?"

"Not at all" you spoke, unsure of where your next words would lead to.

"But my feelings for you do."

Silence filled the atmosphere. A strong, chilly breeze passed by, creating goosebumps on your skin. A weight was lifted off your shoulders as you finally voiced your confession.

"What about the prince your parents have arranged your engagement with?"

"He's not the one, Jimin. It's always been you."

Jimin ran a hand through his blueberry tinted hair. This was so much for him to take in.

"Don't say that princess, because I won't be able to hold myself back."

"Then don't," you replied boldly, "I order you not to."

He observed you through hooded eyes and a dark look that slowly shaded his pretty features. "You know, princess..." he plucked a beautiful white rose from the garden and planted it in your hair gently. "Once you're mine, you'll no longer be able to order me around like that."

Your eyes widened and you stared at him in anticipation. This was a side of him you had never seen before.

"I can be your bodyguard, but I can also be your Aladdin. All you have to do is pick your filter."

You contemplated his words and smiled widely when you finally came to a decision.

"Neither. You're going to be my genie."

"Oh?" He raised his eyebrows in amusement at your unexpected statement. "And what is it that my princess wishes for?"

"Freedom." You responded. "Take me away from this life. Run away with me. Go on an adventure with me." You held onto his wrist tightly as if he would disappear the moment you let go.

"Don't worry, princess," he said in a low voice as he caressed your left cheek, his soft touch making your knees weak and your heart melt.

He bit his lower lip and you lost yourself in his captivating gaze.

"I'll take you to a whole new world"