The Question of Rightness

This morning Person 2 was back in my head and had a new question. But this time, he just told me his thoughts:

"How do you know, what is right and what is wrong? Do you believe in the principle of black and white? Or do you - like a lot of other people  - trust in the middle way, the "colour" grey? But where are the transitions between black, grey, and white? Has it something to do with contrition? Or just with what we have done? Or maybe with both? Do you take your thoughts of rightness from a religion? From (a) God(s)? If yes, does that religion really say, what you mean? Or do you believe in it because you should? The catholic church says, that you have to go to the confession, you have to be sorry and then you have to pray or something like that. At least if it wasn't a more or less fatal sin. And because nobody is perfect and God is really merciful, everything is fine afterward.                                                  
But in reality, it isn't always like that. Sometimes it is just too late to say sorry, isn't it? Contrition, mercy, charity, these are wonderful things, but are they realistic? Can everything be put from black to grey or even to white, just because you are/you say you are sorry? And how does something get in the area of one of the "colours"? Most people think it is wrong to lie, so it is in the black area. But what if you lied to patronize somebody? Is it wrong as well in this situation? And if not, is to save somebody an excuse for everything? How far would you go? Lying, stealing, blackmailing, killing? And what if you do something from despair? There are things you can't excuse, but maybe you could get absolution, get back step by step the trust of people you hurt if you really show, how sorry you are. So maybe mercy, charity, and absolution are often realistic enough to believe in them if there are the right terms.
That means, absolution is no must, it is a thing, that shows great kindness. And you can just hope for it if you're also kind enough to give it, not just take it. Black and white is everyone's own definition and it is the same with absolution and mercy. Things, which happen, can change this definition at any time and definite it new. There are many factors, which can make the situation completely different, can put something of the black area into something of the white area or the other way around.
But in the end, it is always the same, black and white are just existing in our head and things in our heads can change everything or nothing.

That's just your own decision.