A Quiet Morning

A beam of sunlight shone through the large cave, illuminating the dust particles falling past, and stopping at the eye of a sleeping mare. Groaning, the pony slowly stretched, opening her eyes to meet the sunrise through the cave's opening. A soft smile began to form when she noticed none of the others were awake yet. 'Wonderful.' She stood from her small pallet of leaves and gripped a small fur satchel between her teeth before exiting.

  Once outside of the cave, the mare made a mad dash for the trees, letting the wind blow through her mane as she charged towards her own personal hunting grounds. She stopped, panting from her run as she entered the secluded clearing. The rest of her family hunted "normally" but it was made clear to her that a diet of rabbits and squirrels wouldn't cut it for her. Instead, the pony kept a small garden within the clearing, her own oasis away from the rest of her pack.

  She wasn't the only one who knew of this place, as it had been used by her pack for generations, rather, she was the only one who was permitted to go there who did so on a regular basis. The clearing was to be used by leaders of the pack for whatever purposes they wished, the only catch being that they, and whoever they wished to succeed them, were the only ones allowed inside it's protective walls.

  Trotting down to the small, crystal blue pool, the mare began to recite an old phrase. "Protect me as I protect my pack." She prayed, sipping her nose into the undisturbed water, creating a ripple. Once she had finished, she raced over to the small garden, her mouth watering at the sight of the different plants. Before she could pick the best of her crop, she heard a noise behind her. Very close to her, in fact. Whirling around, she prepared to strike whomever or whatever had entered the sacred ground.

  "Calm yourself, Fauna." A large timberwolf chuckled. "I am not breaking any codes, as far as I know, anyways."

  Fauna sighed, relief washing over her. "Father! You can't sneak up on me like that!" She laughed, amused by the wolf's remark.

  "Can I not? News to me." The old wolf walked around his daughter to stand beside the small garden.

  "What a lovely addition you have made. It's quite different from other markers, but what else would I expect from you."

  Fauna's brow furrowed at her father's words. "Father, this isn't my marker. How could it pass for one? There will be no use for it once I am gone."

  The old wolf nodded, "That is true. However, if this is not your marker, where is it?"

  The mare opened her mouth to defend herself, but let it close while she came up with a proper answer.

  "I haven't decided on one. I'm sorry."

  Her father chuckled lightheartedly, amusement painting his features. "There is no need to apologize, my dear. You have plenty of time to decide upon a marker. They are sacred personal representations of a leader's being. You are not yet a leader, so there is no need to stress about it now. It will come to you. For now, focus on your hunting."

  Fauna scoffed. "I'd hardly call this hunting." She bent down to pick some of the vegetables before her, placing them in her satchel. "After all, I don't have to run, pin, or kill. I just pick." She muttered.

  "And sow, and water, and care for. I'd argue this takes more out of you then hunting would." Her father replied as he bent down to help her pick.

  Fauna contemplated this, gathering more of the best plants in silence with her father.

  They worked together, a calm, thoughtful aura claiming the area.

  Sunlight had now flooded the cave, waking timberwolves big and small. The young pups raced one another to the tall oak while the adult wolves helped the elders stand. The pack mother sat at the entrance of the cave, her paws folded in front of her. She had awoken before the others to find both her mate and daughter missing.

  "What am I going to do with them?" She sighed, contently watching the pups play.