Ch. 1

Opening the door, Avery enters, shaking the snow off her jacket she surveys the scene. A run of the mill bar that holds your everyday alcoholics, numerous forty year olds who still think they can drink, and your local college kids who try to get in with a fake ID. Avery didn't need one anymore, it was her 21st birthday and her friends were sure to celebrate it outside of the dorms this year. All of her friends enter behind her and push her to their regular booth in the corner, it doesn't fit all five of them so her closest friend Elliot has to pull up a chair from an empty table.

"Why do you look so out of it? This is your night!" her friend Tosh nudges her with a small smile. "Yeah! You need to look more alive! Let's go get a round!" Elliot exclaims while pushing the extra chair out, but Avery stops him explaining that she would get them and quickly walks towards the bar to halt any protests. She walks through the sea of bodies as she makes her way to the wobbly bar that is ready to buckle any day now. She leans on the end of it, careful to keep away from the sticky parts of the table top. She glances around the unkempt bar at all the different faces. Some look uncomfortable, sad, happy, and well the others just look exhausted. Her head snaps back around as she makes eye contact with a foreign face. Features were soft so she was definitely around her age. Her eyes crinkled as a small smile reached her face with a glint of mischief. She was so taken aback by the mysterious woman that she didn't notice that her lips were moving.

"Sorry," Avery looked down as she cleared her throat before meeting her eyes again with a nervous smile, "What?"

A song of giggles filled the air and sounded Avery right before she spoke again, this time she could be heard, "I said," she leans closer to the patron and holds strong eye contact while running her hands over the unknown woman's arm, "What can I get you?"