Chapter 2 - The compromise

Graystripe looked at Silverstream. Graystripe realized that Tigerclaw was right. What would we do? Three cats already know about me and Silverstream. Cinderpaw, Tigerclaw, and Fireheart. Then, he looked back at Tigerclaw. Tigerclaw growled. "Wait until Bluestar knows about this!" he snarled.

        "No!" Silverstream cried. "Please! Don't tell anybody!" Silverstream looked at Graystripe. "This shouldn't have happened! All this was supposed to be a secret!" Graystripe leaned against his mate. "I know." he murmured. "Don't worry. I'll get Tigerclaw to keep his mouth shut." He licked her ear. "Take the kits back to RiverClan. I'll deal with this." 

        "Are you sure?"

        "Yes, Silverstream."

        "Okay," Silverstream meowed. "But meet me at Fourtrees tonight," she whispered. Graystripe purred. "Of course!" He turned toward the kits and licked each of their heads. Then finally licked Silverstream's. "See you tonight," he murmured. Silverstream purred, picked up the kits and ran off towards RiverClan territory. Graystripe watched until she disappeared, then turned back to Tigerclaw. 

        Graystripe growled. "If you dare tell anybody, I'll tell everyone a little secret I know about you." Hearing this, Tigerclaw shrank back a bit. He snarled. "I don't have any secrets! I'm a loyal warrior! Unlike you!" Graystripe curled his lip.

        "A loyal warrior, huh? Do loyal warriors kill their clanmates?" Graystripe heard Cinderpaw gasp. "He wouldn't!" she whispered. Tigerclaw muttered something angrily under his breath that was too quiet to hear, but sounded like, "Don't tell me Ravenpaw shared my secret with those two!" 

        Then, Graystripe meowed, "Do you want me to share your little fight with Redtail with the Clans?" Cinderpaw gasped again. "Redtail? The old ThunderClan deputy? You killed him?" she meowed in disbelief. Tigerclaw was looking at Graystripe nervously. "Don't you dare tell anyone!" he growled. Graystripe curled his lip. "I won't tell anyone if you don't tell anyone about me and Silverstream!" Tigerclaw thought for a moment. Then, he growled, "Fine! I won't tell anybody about your half-clan kits! For now!" He started running towards the Thunderclan camp. He stopped for a moment then turned, cast one more menacing glance towards Graystripe, and disappeared.

        Graystripe sighed in relief. "Graystripe?" He turned around. Cinderpaw was looking down at her paws. She looked up. "Did T-Tigerclaw really kill R-Redtail?" Cinderpaw stuttered. Graystripe sighed again. "Yes it's true. Do you remember Ravenpaw?" Cinderpaw nodded. "He was with Tigerclaw during the battle for Sunningrocks with RiverClan. Tigerclaw told him to go back to camp, but he stayed behind and saw Tigerclaw kill Redtail." Cinderpaw's jaw gaped in horror. She turned to Fireheart, who was standing beside her. "Did you know?" He nodded. Fireheart was the one trying to warn Bluestar, Graystripe thought. Cinderpaw shivered. "I knew Tigerclaw was more ambitious than the others, but I didn't think he would kill his own Clan's deputy!" she meowed. 

        Fireheart turned to her. "Some cats are that ambitious and evil." Graystripe shivered too. Then, he turned to Cinderpaw. "You won't tell any cat about me and Silverstream right?" He meowed nervously. Cinderpaw purred. "No need to worry Graystripe! Your secret is safe in my paws!" Then he looked at Fireheart. "You won't tell anybody either, right?"

        "Graystripe, you're my best friend. I'm not going to tell anybody."

        "Thanks Fireheart."

        "Your very welcome. But Graystripe, don't you feel like you're betraying your Clan?"

        Graystripe sighed. He did, but he loved Silverstream so much, it was enough break the warrior code. "Yeah, I guess, but I love Silverstream." He looked at Cinderpaw. "Yellowfang does know about this, right?" She nodded. "Well, i'm sure Yellowfang will be pleased when she hears you've successfully delivered a queen's kits all by yourself." Cinderpaw stood up a bit taller. "Well, it is pretty impressive if I do say so myself," she bragged. Graystripe started walking away. He turned and beckoned to Cinderpaw and Fireheart with his tail. "Come on. Let's go to camp."