23. More Than Just Objects

I woke to a gentle knocking on my door, and at first, believing it to be Victoria I went to answer it. Imagine my bewilderment to see Lei standing on my threshold.

"Lei? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"You said to come here as soon as I could," she replied. "I did not want to disappoint you."

My face grew hot. "Oh... Um... thank you. Come on in."

Lei did as I said, stepping inside the room before turning to me. "So, what is this big secret? What is it that you say is holding yourself back?"

I fiddled with my fingers, unable to believe that this girl was making me nervous. I was a warrior. I was a princess. I could handle talking to some girl.

"All right, listen. You might think me crazy at first, but know that I'm telling you the truth. It's a bit hard to digest until I thoroughly explain and..."

"Karasi," Lei chuckled. "Karasi, stop pacing around the room and come here." She walked to me, wrapping her arms around my waist, pulling me close. "Tell me. Nothing you will tell me can be as awful as you believe it to me."

"It's going to be just easier to show you. You... um... might want to step back."

Lei arched an eyebrow as I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. The lights in the room began to flicker as gradually the tattoos gradually began to appear on my skin. When I opened my eyes, they were in their feline form, the circle slits having transformed into the vertical.

Lei stiffened, taking several steps backward as she took in my appearance.

"Lei, don't be afraid. It's still me..."

"How... how is this possible?" Lei whispered.

"It's kinda a long story..." I replied. "But here's the abridged version: I'm the Mlezi. I have a duty to my tribe and my gods to protect nature in all its forms. I gained this position after my Mother was murdered... by poachers. My father found out and sent me to live with my grandparents in Washington, but I couldn't stay there."

"Why not?"

"Because my magic is being taken away. Someone is stealing it, and if they do... I don't know what they'll do, but I know it's bad."

"And how are they doing this?"

"A couple of months ago a white cub, the symbol of my Tribe's Supreme Goddess, was stolen. By taking it, the person, in theory, can take my powers. I know who did it, a poaching syndicate called Black Claw. I tracked them here, but I'm kind of stuck."

"I want to help."

"You do?"

Lei cupped my chin in her palm, looking into my eyes. "Yes, Karasi. Although I will admit this is going to take a moment getting used too, what you are fighting for is very valiant. You are fighting to protect the sacred animals on this earth, and I can't help but respect that. I would be honored if you allow me to help you."

In reply I pressed my lips to hers, unable to stop myself. It was a brief kiss but spoke volumes; of course, I would want Lei to join me.

"And these gods you spoke of," Lei said. "Are they the ones that forbid you to be with me?"

"It's... a bit more complex than that," I confessed. "The Mlezi isn't supposed to in a relationship with anyone; it's to keep us focused on our jobs."

Lei frowned. "So, you're forced to be alone for your lives? What type of gods could ask you to do such a thing?"

"The gods aren't as bad as you believe them to be. Without them, I don't know what would have happened to me after my Mother was killed. I've done everything that they want of me, that they have ever wanted of me. But when it comes to you, I can't do it anymore. I can't choose between my heart and my duty anymore. I need to be able to live my life the way I want too."