Chapter XVI: Talentless

LIA'S POV

"Have you watch it? Park Julia of class 2-A's piano recital with her parents singing"

"Nee. I've watched it. I don't know but she's not that good in playing piano. Maybe the teachers chose her because of her parents. Perks of having a superstar mom"

"It was rumoured that she was supposed to sing solo instead of having a piano recital and let her parents sing. But being a talentless bitch, she did not. Maybe she has no talent in singing too unlike her mom"

"It should be Yeji, not her. Yeji's more talented than her. She can sing and also play piano but because of that girl's parents, she was chosen"

"Aish! Using her parents to shine. That's disgusting"

I've been hearing these words everyday at school after our performance that night. It hurts me hearing all of these and started to have doubt on myself. Am I really a talentless bitch like what they said?

"Lia!"

"Lia"

"Lia!" I was shocked when someone called my name and came back on my senses. It was Yeji, smiling from ear to ear.

"Yeji" I greeted and tried to gave her a smile. Her smile did not fade on her face.

"Sorry for taking too long. Let's go to the room" she said that made me nod. She pulled my hand and held it tight.

I'm thankful for having her as my friend. Having her presence makes me to not want to cry in front of her. It makes me feel embarrassed for her to see me cry. But, I want to really cry whenever I heard everyone gossip about me.

Maybe they are right, that I am using my parents just to shine or attracts attention. Like Yeji, she became my friend because of her admiration to my mom. If ever that I am not her daughter, will she still be my friend?

"Why is Yeji hanging around with her? Ah it's her mom. Yeji's a huge fan of her mom"

"Shh be quiet. She could hear us"

I was stopped from walking that made Yeji to accidentally let go of my hand. She then turned back to face me. I couldn't help but to tear up. I bowed my head.

"Oh she's crying let's go back" I heard someone said and was about to ran away when Yeji stood up for me.

"Ya! How dare you humiliate this talented young lady here" she scolded everyone. I didn't bother to look up and still bowing my head. I am too embarrassed to show them I am crying. "You talk like you're very talented when the truth is you are not. Instead of gossiping, why don't you spend your free time studying?" I heard her said again that made me to look up. She was turning her back from me so all I could see is her back. "You keep on telling that she can't sing. Wae? Have you heard her voice? Do you want me to slap you all of her certifications from voice lessons class? Jinjja! You..." she shouted then pointed to a girl. "I heard your voice teacher resigned because your voice has no potential at all. And I heard that you failed at mathematics class. Ew" she said that shocked me. I held her shoulder.