6

The sun was high in the sky and Lesedi and Abena lead their third matriarchs to a large pit. I was trotting close to Jaka when I heard several laughs and barks. I looked in the pit and saw many hyenas. At least 70. I never thought there were so many of us. This was only third matriarch! Imagine all of us together. It be too much for my eyes!

We made our way down a slope that got us in and out the pit. Hyenas all over were socializing.

At first, Jaka and I didn't leave each other's side but I saw a group of friendly hyenas and I moved over to them.

I dipped my head in respect and showed that I was friendly.

"Hello!" One male said. He was tall but very strong as muscles rippled through his pelt. His eyes were stunning blue and warm. His pelt was a beautiful golden color and he seemed well groomed than the others in Lesedi. "Kuron, Sekai tribe."

"Mbali, Lesedi..." I trailed off. My heart pounded. It was such a low tribe, but his expression didn't change he looked at me as an equal.

"I'm Jenue, Nakato tribe." A dark female said. "And don't be ashamed of your rank, Mbali."

That made me happy, especially because she said my name. "Thank you, Jenue."

She smiled and I hoped I can see her again when I move to the Nakato tribe.

"Are you thinking about moving up?" A hyena asked me. "Lesedi is a—"

Jenue nipped him sharply on the shoulder. "Shut up." She snapped.

"Actually yes. I want to move up." I replied.

"Good. You should try." Kuron said.

"Think of it like this," the other hyena started, " Daru tribe is matriarch, Furaha is betta, Sekai is third matriarch, Nakato is second matriarch, and Lesedi is first."

My ears drooped. I was happy to be in third matriarch but disappointed just to find out that I was back in first matriarch in the tribes. They must have noticed because Jenue nudged him away.

"Don't worry about it." Kuron said.

I thanked him and I continued to talk with them for the rest of the night.