chapter four

Sure enough we'd gotten to our dorms thanks to my perfect memory and directions from a few students.

I stood in front the mirror staring at myself. I was wearing my armor which was made of Stygian iron and Olympian silver. The armor was very fitting and wasn't that heavy either so I could move easily. It was black mostly and dotted all over with Olympian silver like stars and constellation. On each shoulder was carved the head of a black owl with bright silver eyes. My long black hair was braided across my right shoulder.

Last year, on my thirteenth birthday, Henry gave me the armor as a present. When I wear it I'm almost invincible. It's enchanted to protect me from most physical and magic attacks and it comes with a bunch of other cool stuff too. My weapons were on my bed. There was a snipe rifle fashioned to shoot celestial bronze bullets, my sword made of imperial gold and my two dagger.

I reach for the Roman dagger. Nine inches of imperial gold, the leather-bound grip worn from hard use. It didn't seem like much, except that it was the only thing I had left of my former life in sector four.

"So he'll always be with you," grandma had said as she handed me father's dagger, her eyes as teary as mine was. Father had died not four months before my choosing, slaughter by the Forsaken horde. Rome, the imperial city, build to last the ages, had fallen only a few weeks after.

I picked up the dagger, testing it's grip as I've done a thousand times. I flipped it in the air, caught it again with my other hand and cut a wide arc through the wind rushing in from an open window. I smiled at the familiar ringing of the blade, turning it so it could gleam in the night lights of sector twelve. 

I cursed silently and placed the dagger among the small arsenal I was allowed. Stupid rule but we were only allowed armor for tonight's ceremony, no weapons. I pulled cloak on over my armor and headed to the door. The cloak was a formal attire for students. It was silver with golden trims and had Camp Half-blood's insignia, the Pegasus, spread across the back in shimmering designs.

You see, for the first few years of our life we are all basically homeschooled. Our parents or guardian will train us until we turn thirteen, then we start school where we'll spend five years or more being groomed for a place in society— or at least what's left of it.

Usually students end up choosing the same careers as their parents because, of course, it's what they're most familiar with. Every individual I'm sector twelve, mortal, monster or Half-blood has to do their part to ensure the survival of our races, whether it's being a simply farmer, a blacksmith, a professor, or even a soldier of the Resistance army, we all have to do our part. Unfortunately, that also includes abiding to stupid rules.

So yeah I know I'm not thirteen but the only reason I started school this late was because when I was ten years old my home was attacked. The entire sector four wiped out leaving me probably the only survivor. For days I sat among the ruins crying my eyes out and not knowing what to do until I was rescued by Henry and his second in command, Lucas, a legacy of Hermes, who die that very year on a raid.

Henry and Linda adopted me a few weeks after they brought me to this sector and I love them like a real family. I know it's sad but even though I'm the only survivor I don't really remember anything about where I grew up except that whenever I think about it I get this warm feeling like my family was still watching over me.

My adopted parents being very protective and the council being unusually lenient allowed me to start school a year late and had my new family teach me all I need to know to survive a Post-apocalypsic Earth, albeit from the safety of our sectors.

Life was never easy for a demigod, even in the old days before the invasion, when all we had to worry about was surviving monster attacks and helping the gods every now and then fight off some long defeated immortal enemy wanting revenge.