Chapter Ten

Lady Capulet watched the two men. Her husband stood at the window, his hand on Paris' shoulder.

'With all these sad things we haven't had time to persuade our daughter. Look here! She loved her cousin Tybalt dearly, and so did I.' He sighed. 'Well, we all have to die.'

He looked apprehensively at his wife, who was reclining on a sofa. 'It's very late,' he continued, his voice low. 'She won't come down tonight. I must say, if you hadn't been here I would have been in bed long ago.'

Paris thought it best to leave. 'This is the wrong time for such matters,' he said. He went and stood before Lady Capulet. 'Good night, Madam, Give your daughter my compliments.'

'I will , said Lady Capulet. 'And I'll let you know what she says early tomorrow. She's heartbroken tonight.'

As Paris was about to leave Capulet called him back. 'On second thoughts, I'll take the risk and say yes. She'll do as I tell her.' He snapped his fingers. 'Wife, go and see her in the morning and tell her about my son Paris' love for her. And tell her – listen – tell her next Wednesday. Wait, What's today?'

'Monday,' said Paris,

'Monday?' Capulet laughed. 'Well Wednesday is too soon. Thursday. Make it Thursday. Tell her she's getting married to this noble earl on Thursday.' Capulet looked sharply at Paris. 'Will you be ready then? Is it too soon?' He didn't wait for an answer.

'We won't make a fuss about it – just a friend or two. Because, listen. Tybalt being murdered so recently, it would be disrespectful if we celebrated too much. So we'll just have about a half a dozen friends and that'll be it. But what do you say to Thursday?'

Paris took Capulet's hands in his own, 'My Lord, I wish tomorrow was Thursday.'

'Well off you go then. Thursday it is.' He saw Paris out then turned to his wife. 'Go to Juliet, wife,' he said. 'Prepare her for her wedding day. Light!' he shouted. 'Hey! Light to my room!' He followed the servant, muttering. 'It's so late that we should really call it morning.'

'You're not going!' said Juliet. 'It's not morning yet.'

Romeo lay down beside her again and kissed her. 'It really is morning,' he said. 'The clouds in the eastern sky are streaked with light. I have to leave if I'm going stay alive, or die if I don't.'

'That light isn't daylight,' she said. 'I know that: it's like some meteor sent to light you on you way to Mantua. So stay: you don't have to go.'

'No,' he said. 'I don't. Let them catch me, let them put me to death. I'm happy if it's what you want. I'd rather stay. I welcome death if it's what you want.' He kissed her again. 'How are you my darling? Let's talk: it's not day yet.'

'Oh, it is, it is!' she cried. You must go. Hurry. Come on, go. It's getting lighter every moment.'

Romeo groaned. 'The lighter it gets the darker our troubles become.'

The Nurse, who had been keeping guard all night, knocked softly on the door and opened it.

'Juliet!'

'Nurse, what is it?'

'Your mother's coming to your room It's morning. Be careful.' She closed the door.

They kissed again and again then he finally let the rope ladder down. Juliet hung out the window.

'Have you really gone, my Love, my husband, friend? I want to hear from you every hour of every day. Each minute will drag like many days, so I'll be very old before I see my Romeo again.'

Romeo stood in the orchard. 'Good bye,' he said. 'I'll send a message as soon as I can.'

'Oh, do you think we will ever meet again?'