Chapter 14

(Amy)

Amy stubbed her toe on the corner of an uneven section of sidewalk. Carla caught her by the arm as she stumbled toward the grass median between the sidewalk and curb. Grass and mud stains wouldn't have blended in with the pattern on her skirt.

"Thanks. If we had to go back home so I could change my clothes, we'd have to park in River Road Cemetery. It is going to be packed downtown." As it was they had parked three blocks north of Main Street in the old residential area where the note was left on Amy's windshield. The ancient sidewalks were cracked and slanted, courtesy of old age and tree roots. It was like walking through a funhouse.

Carla waved her phone in front of Amy's face. "I doubt half a dozen cocktails will do much for your balance and agility. If you fall down later, I'll take pictures. Just in case you can't remember what happened tomorrow when you're trying to clean up those pesky stains."

"Gosh. You are so helpful." Amy rolled her eyes. "Always thinking ahead."

Thank goodness the purpose of the evening was to blow off some stress, not compete in a poise contest. Gracefulness wasn't one of her strong points. "No pictures. No evidence. Or Alex may never let me go out with you again. You're supposed to be looking out for me, just like Alex expects you to."

"Really? I don't remember promising that to him."

"I promised for you." She grinned. "You're welcome."

Carla shook her head as she returned the phone to the front pocket of her jeans. "Where is Alex tonight? I'm surprised he didn't insist on coming with us so he could keep track of you, too."

It had taken a lot of convincing to get Alex to leave her with Carla and have some fun himself. He and his friends had been planning the boys' night out for months, but he had wanted to cancel to make sure the illiterate psycho didn't get her. "He's at a concert in Detroit with a few of his friends. When I told him Rayshelle was most likely sending the notes and that Shepler was keeping an eye on her, he finally agreed that both of us could have some fun. Separately."

"He loves you and is just trying to take care of his sweetie."

"I'm a big girl." She wasn't a naive child who needed to be shielded from the cruel, hard world. "I can take care of myself, usually."

"Says the woman who is walking like a drunk before even having a sip of alcohol."

"Whatever." She stopped and pointed at a black SUV. "That's where I was parked when the last note was stuck on Mimi. Nobody in the neighborhood saw anybody suspicious. I swear I'm going to install security cameras inside Mimi if Shepler can't pin the notes on Rayshelle."

Carla exhaled so loudly a dove strutting under a nearby bird feeder flapped its wings to protest the noise. "Hopefully he nails her soon so you can both relax."

"I am planning on relaxing tonight. Why do you think you're my designated driver?"

They walked around the back corner of Riverbend Coffee and conveniently landed at the end of the line to get into Shots & Whatnots. As they waited Carla studied the banner, listing ticket prices, which stretched over the registration table. "Looks like it'll be an inexpensive night for me. I only have to pay a quarter of what you do since I'm not drinking."

Amy couldn't resist messing with her friend a bit, especially after the embarrassing picture threat. "You qualify as a cheap date. When's the last time you were called that?"

"It's been a while. I don't do cheap and easy."

"Definitely not a distinction anybody should aim for," Amy said as she dug her wallet out of her purse. "I'm paying tonight. I really appreciate you rearranging your sleep schedule to come with me."