Strike One

"Are you getting called away?"

Sehun pivoted around so fast the phone dropped from his hand. Several feet away Namjoo clutched onto the strap of her crossbody purse. Eyes on him. Inside his chest his heart drummed, his blood whooshing loudly like water spinning rapidly inside a washing machine.

"How long have you been standing there?" Was the first thing that popped out of his mouth.

Majorly the only important thing he needed to know.

"What?" she asked, stepped forward, bent down to pick up his phone. Straightening she handed the mobile to him. "Do you have to leave?"

Relief spurred through him. Blinking, he tried a smile. "No, it's nothing."

Coyly smirking, Namjoo asked, "Then, was it your mother?"

A lightbulb flashed on inside his head. "Yes. It's my mom." Shaking his head, "I mean, of course. Yes, it was my mom. She was just calling to say you're so adorably cute." He pinched her cheek.

Swatting his hand away, Namjoo linked arms with him. Giddily saying, "Nuh-uh. Tell me, what did she say?"

"It's a secret." He played as they veered onto the path off to the side.

Namjoo nudged him. The wind carrying her voice as they neared the paved road beside the water. All while he tucked the panic striding through him into a chest deep inside his conscience, locking it away.

That night he watched the hourglass on the computer screen spin a few rounds once he'd press the confirm button, completing the transaction he'd promised.

After this, he'd have no need to see them again.

⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕⸔⸕

Moaning tiredly Namjoo stretched her arms up. Arching slightly and shifted onto her side. Releasing a sigh when her eyes landed on her bedside where Sehun had lain just a week ago. Empty this morning, but imagining him there with her derived a sensation that immediately made her high.

Her lips thinned out into a smile and she closed her eyes again. Replaying the happiness spinning like wheels underneath her feet to when Sehun walked her up to her door. Very slightly she had wondered to ask him to come in. A quarter of her quirky conscience aware if that happened Sehun really would be lying next to her right now.

The phone went off inquiring her attention. Namjoo nearly groaned exasperated. She wanted to be in her thoughts some more, but upon the thought that it was Sehun she flung herself up. Sitting she leaned over to swipe her phone off the bedside table. Flinging the charging cable to the floor. Glancing at the screen she saw her mom's name flashing.

This time she let out a really deep groan. Flopping back against the pillow she pressed answer and held the phone to her ear.

"What?" She closed her eyes.

"Who is he?" Her mother's voice blasted through the phone. Namjoo winced and held the phone an inch away. "What is this I've been hearing about a man? Kim Namjoo!"

"Mom!" Namjoo complained. "Who've you been talking to?"

"Are you or are you not going to answer me?" her mother scolded and sounded like she was speaking through a microphone.

Damn Kiwan.

"Yes," Namjoo forced herself to answer. "He's my boyfriend."

"Boyfriend?!" her mother screeched. Exasperatedly gasping, she lectured, "Gosh, Namjoo, you just barely got a job and you're dating? What does he do?"