|| XXIX: Fractured Façade ||

|| 5/2 Monday |||| Early Morning ||

|| 5/2 Monday ||
|| Early Morning ||

The moment Akira and Mikono arrived at Shujin Academy, they headed to the gym for a mandatory assembly. The girl found Ann amongst the crowded gymnasium and walked toward her. "Good morning, Ann."

"Oh, hey, Mikono," Ann greeted. "I wonder why they suddenly called for an assembly."

"I talked to Principal Kobayakawa last Saturday about the part-time positions available at the museum. He said I could share the information with the student body at today's assembly after an important message. Sadly, I wasn't able to figure what this "important message" is."

"Do you think it has to do with what happened to Shiho or the calling card?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if this assembly is for both."

As the two girls fell silent and waited for the assembly to begin, they listened to the gossiping students around them.

"What's with the sudden morning assembly?"

"I bet it's about that girl that jumped the other day."

"They don't have to tell us not to commit suicide."

"There was that weird calling card too, so I guess the teachers are freaking out?"

Both girls sighed sorrowfully after listening to their classmates. They exchanged glances just as Principal Kobayakawa emerged from behind the curtain and walked up to the podium. He checked the microphone before addressing the crowded gymnasium. "Let's begin this school-wide morning assembly. As you all know, a tragic event took place the other day. Thankfully, we have been informed that she has pulled through, but it will take time until she recovers. Everyone here has a bright future ahead. I implore you that you rethink the importance of life and seek help if you need any. Now then, let's discuss another matter. Tsutsui, could you please come up?"

Mikono nodded and excused herself as she weaves through the congregation of students to reach the stage. She walked up the stairs and received the microphone from Principal Kobayakawa once he detached it from the stand. Her palms were already sweaty, nervous to see the reactions of her fellow students. She already knew most of the school looked down upon her, but she was in desperate need of part-time help at the museum, especially since her parents would be leaving for Italy in three days. She prayed they'd look past who she was and just listen to what she had to say.

Inhaling deeply, Mikono began speaking into the microphone. "Good morning, everyone. I'd like to thank Principal Kobayakawa for giving me this chance to speak with everyone. The ancient history museum in Shibuya is in desperate need of part-timers. Pay starts at 1,050 yen an hour and—"

All of a sudden, the door to the gym flew open, startling the entire student body and staff. Everyone turned their attention to the door and saw the infamous coach hanging his head in shame.