Chapter 2

A/N//: Okay. So. I totally meant to do this on my last chapter, but I was so excited to get it up for the lovely Diby that I forgot. All of my fanfiction titles are really similar. Incandescence, Iridescent, Luminescent. Why, you may ask? They are adjectives to describe Erart's magnificent hair. Cause, why not?

Okay, so I do have to put a warning at the beginning of this chapter because it needs it.

WARNING: This chapter contains content that may be highly sensitive to some viewers, that being the topic of suicide. Please read with discretion. I do NOT describe anything of that nature in detail. If you wish to skip this chapter because of the sensitive content, please PM me, and I will gladly summarize the chapter for you.

WARNING: This is your sexual content warning, as well. This chapter has much more graphic content than the last. This content is described in detail. You will probably see this warning often.

And without further ado, chapter two.

Erart

A laugh echoed through the halls of the Fordren palace. It was rich and deep and happy and full of the promise of devotion. Littler laughs, light and elevated and crystalline ones, followed the first. The laughter belonged to Prince Erart Avington and his dearest friend and fellow knight, Derin, whose fingers were intertwined as they made their way down the elegant halls.

"We mustn't be late, Derin," Erart said through his fading laughter. "Father will not be pleased with us at all."

Derin sent Erart a jokingly serious glare. "We wouldn't be running late in the first place had you not stopped ten times to- you know-"

Erart sent Derin a devilish grin before suddenly pressing him against the nearest wall, pinning his hands on either side of his head. The prince pressed his hips against Derin's and seized his lips into a kiss. Just as Derin had claimed, Erart had done this several times already, each kiss getting more intense than the last. This one was the longest thus far as well as the most heated, most lustful. It left Erart craving more than what he was able to have in these public halls.

"You mean that?" Erart asked as he drew back from Derin, heavy breaths escaping him. His eyelids fluttered as he looked down at his partner, who stood just a little shorter than him.

Against the wall, Derin looked flustered but unashamedly blissful. "Yes, that. You should probably stop doing that, otherwise, we will be late."

But the knight could not stop the grin from forming on his gentle features.

"Can I have an 'I owe you' for later?" Erart asked.

Derin rolled his eyes and said, "Yes, of course, love,"

But it was an 'I owe you' that would never come.

The pair only managed a few more chaste kisses before the arrived at the door to King Adleherd's study. Erart sent Derin a loving look before confidently knocking on the door. Today was the day. After a long year of courting privately, Erart and Derin had finally decided to ask King Adleherd to bless a marriage between the two of them. It had taken a lot of courage on both of their parts, but Erart felt that they were ready.

His father's voice sounded from within his study, calling for them to enter. King Adleherd glanced at the pair of them as they entered the room before turning to look out the window.

"Erart, Derin. You've returned. Welcome home," he said.

"Thank you, Father," Erart said, swallowing. Derin stood beside him. Their hands were close enough to brush, but their fingers were not intertwined. "I've got news for you."