Chapter 3

Dean's POV (it will be his POV for most of the time.)

I woke up in a room and as I awoke, I gasped. I looked down at my chest with was covered in bandages, which I remembered. I looked around the room and noticed I was not in the hospital.

'You and Rick escaped', I reminded myself.

I looked for Rick but he was nowhere. I tried to get out of the bed, but I noticed my arms and legs were tied to it with rope. I didn't panic, stuff like this has happened to me before.

"Hello!" I shouted. The only thing I heard was silence until I heard another voice.

"Dean, is that you?" Someone shouted. Sam.

"Sam! Yes it's me, get me out of here!" I yelled to him.

I heard fast footprints sprint across the hall into the room I was in. Sam ran inside and through me into a hug.

"I thought you were dead! I tried to save you, I promise, but I just couldn't this time." His eyes were starting to water.

Seventy-five percent of me wanted to yell and scream at him, but I held it in, "It's okay. It's okay." I said assuringly

"You aren't bitten, are you?" He said, taking a step back.

"What do you mean 'bitten'? If it's what I think it is, then yes.." I began.

"Don't even finish that sentence," he cut me off, laughing, "have you noticed anything unusual while you were conscious?" He asked me.

"Sam you are talking to me like I am a suspect or something. Talk to me like I'm your brother." I ordered.

He nodded, "you know all those myths about zombies?"

"Yeah, what about them? You aren't saying.."

"Yep, this is the apocalypse. This is the end." He said and for 5 seconds it was silent until I laughed to no end.

He looked at me with a serious face, "Dean, I'm not kidding."

I finally realized he was telling the truth. I jumped up again to get out of bed, but was only reminded I was tied.

Sam got the pocket knife out of the bedside table and cut the rope off. I jumped up, free, and looked out the window.

There were people walking around, I don't get what's so weird.

"Sam, those are just regular people. I don't understand what you are talking about." I said to him, eyeing the street.

"Dean, those people are dead." He said clearly, gaining my attention. I looked closer at one of them, but before I could get a better look, I heard a voice.

"Sammy set you free, eh?"

I turned around and saw a black man eyeing me suspiciously.

"I'm not 'bitten', if you were wondering." I answered his question before it was asked.

"How do you two know each other?" He asked me kindly. He seemed like a nice guy, so I decided to not come off as a jerk. Just this time.

"We are brothers." We said at the same time.

"Small world," He grinned, "dinner is in 5. I'll let you two...catch up. Oh, and Dean," how does he know my name? "Your friend Rick is already downstairs." He left the room, and I turned to Sam.

"How did you get here?" I asked him. I was glad that he didn't wait for me, whatever the reason is.

"You see this is a plague. A disease. It started here in Atlanta, and it spread. Quickly. As in quickly, I mean a matter of three days. The hospital you were in was overrun. I tried to save you, but I was too late. I put a bed in front of your door, if that was any help." He said.

"Sam, there was no bed in front of my door." I laughed at him.

"Well, I must have miscounted the door numbers." He shrugged like he wouldn't have caused the possibility of my death.

"Sam? Miscounting?" I smirked.

"We should get to dinner, before a Rick eats it all." He grinned.

"You know Rick?"

"Not at all."

We trudged down the stairs, and I wince every step. What a burden to be shot during the apocolypse.

"Nice of you to join us." Rick said from the table. They were all eating beans from a can, that was all. Sam scrunched up his nose. He hates beans. I chuckled.

"What's so funny?" I heard a small voice ask. I look over to the table and next to the black man sat a little black boy. He seemed about twelve.

"Nothing." I chuckled again.

"You all," the black man pointed to Rick and I, "have some explaining to do."

^^^^

A/N

I LOVE ALL OF YOU WHO READ THIS BOOK.