Chapter Five

Wren

Later on, only a few nights later, my mom comes downstairs, and I gulp nervously. Dinner has long since passed, and I didn't eat, though, Mimi brought a plate down for me. Keith and I talked while I did my homework, and he and I discussed a lot of things, he asked me how it feels, and he asked me what he can do to help, if anything, and I shoved him off, urging him to go away, not wanting his help.

It's two in the morning, and she strides across the floor and demands my attention, with her facial expression. As she gets closer to me, her expression grows sorrowful, and she smiles at me with tears in her eyes.

"Your father's on the phone," she says, handing me her cell phone, and I take it, pressing it to my ear.

"Daddy?" I say into the line, hearing his breathing, and I'm fearful of what he's going to say to me.

"Wren," he says, and I can hear a smile in his voice. "You okay?" He asks, and I sob.

"I just missed you, that's all," I say, relief flooding through my veins as I smile a bit, biting my lip nervously.

"How've you been, sweet pea?" He asks me, his scratchy, rough voice giving me comfort.

"I'm... I'm pregnant, daddy," I say, scared to break the news.

"You're what?" He sounds disappointed, but not mad.

"You heard me," I close my eyes, waiting for the yelling to start.

"My babygirl's having a baby," he laughs, and I can't tell if he's laughing or crying. "Well, damn."

"I'm so sorry, dad," I repeat, not knowing what to say.

"Wren Elizabeth, why are you sorry?" He sounds confused.

"I'm sixteen!" I blurt, rolling my eyes, and continue, explaining more, "I don't know what to do, dad. I don't know what to do."

"What do you want to do?" He asks me, and I shift my position in bed. "Honestly."

"I want to keep the baby..." I trail off, and he sighs.

"Then what's the damn issue, you silly girl?" He chuckles and I cry tears of happiness, overwhelmed by the support.

"Need I remind you, I'm sixteen, and you should be ready to beat the shit out of me?" I suggest sarcastically. "Aren't you mad at me?"

"Never!" He screams it so loud and mom laughs a little, sitting at the foot of my bed, and I hold the phone away from my ear, wincing as I bring it back to my head.

"Can you not... ever... do that again?" I plead, and he laughs, making me smile. I haven't seen or heard from dad in a few months, but this... this means the world to me.

"You better send me pictures in the mail," he threatens.

"Or what?!" I shake my head, joking around with him.

"Or I'm gonna kick some pregnant teenage ass when I get home," he says, and I snort.

"You'd never hit a lady, daddy," I call his bluff.

"Well shit, I guess I'll just have to figure up something else," he says and mom shakes her head.

"Mom and I are laughing at you," I inform as someone yells his name in the background.

"Babygirl, I love you," he says, and I know what's coming next. "Can I talk to your mama, honey?"

"Love you, daddy," I smile handing the phone to mom.