chapter twenty-two

PAIGE WAS OFTEN seen with her broom and her potions. She knew spells and could fly, portraying the perfect image of a well-versed witch that could handle her own battles. As such, throughout his stay in the Neverland Orphanage, he had never seen a sword in Paige's hands before. It was only a small knife at most.

However, she stood there like a warrior, her fingers tightly gripping the handle like it was second nature. Her eyes were fierce, hazel brown rimmed with slight red edges that displayed signs of crying.

In the shadows, Wallace scuttled as close to her as possible, hoping to get close enough to save her, not knowing that some people needn't be saved.

"Cap'n!" One of the pirates cried, joy in his voice, sword raised high. His next words stumped Wallace still. "Our Cap'n has returned!"

Originally hidden behind a pile of gold, Wallace's eyes widened with a mixture of surprise and horror. He watched as the group of pirates collectively cheered and it was only then had he realized that their swords were raised in victory and celebration, not for violence.

In the center of the hurrah, Paige wore a bold grin. Her tears were long gone, now replaced with a smug smirk that leaked boldness and even a touch of mischief. However, it wasn't the same sort of mischief she always portrayed. This one was tinged with a little bit of evil and a little bit of malice. The Paige that stood in front of Wallace now seemed... foreign.

He couldn't recognize her.

In his disbelief, he had unknowingly taken a step back. His feet slid against the wet rocks, sending him flying out of his hiding place and onto the ground. Although he was still hidden by the mountains of gold coins, a few of the loose change had tumbled onto the ground from his movement. The ruckus caught the attention of the nearby pirates and soon enough, the pointed ends of all their swords and sabers were pointed towards him instead of the sky.

"Who!" One of them yelled, edging a little closer. On the ground, Wallace was scared stiff. "Which bold soul is it that dares venture into our cave?"

Although he was no child, Wallace felt as though he had become one. Through his stay in Neverland, he had grown dependent on one person. In the face of danger, he couldn't help himself but call for her name.

"Paige!"

The crowd parted with a gasp. Now that they've gotten closer, Wallace was in full view. However, there was never a need for the pirates to make way for their leader. She could, after all, fly above their heads. She hovered there, her green dress billowing behind her until her toes grazed the rocks. However, her sword wasn't sheathed. Instead, it was pointed right at Wallace's throat.

When he looked up at her, he was met with a different face. Although her features were just as he remembered her, her expression was completely off. For one thing, her face was hidden within shadows. Her hat, which was always on her head even when indoors, hanged limply around her neck by the ribbon he had sewn for her, lifeless. In the dark, her eyes glowed like the gold that surrounded them, a dragon of avarice ready to breathe fire upon his mortal body.

"Paige?" He tried again, his voice softer this time, quivering a little because he was no longer sure.

"You," she simply said. Then, her head moved so that her chin was no longer tilted so high up. Her eyes stayed glued on his trembling body, eyebrows furrowed with obvious rage. Then, she spat out venomously, "Why are you here?"

————

social media:

instagram: twelvewonderingstars (personal: aurorayeo)

twitter: aurorayeo

facebook: twelvewonderingstars