Heart wide open

I don't know about you but I have a tendency, when I face discouragement and pain, to shut down. I harden my heart and close off my mind and hide the most vulnerable parts of myself. I don't want to get hurt, and I definitely don't want to let anyone close to the places of my heart that are soft and breakable.

But I know I wasn't created to live this hardened existence. My heart was made for relationship, for love and connection. Especially connection with my Creator. And though it feels the opposite, there's no safer or more secure place than with my heart wide open before a loving and trustworthy God.

Psalm 139: 1-4 tells us that God has searched us and He knows us, He sees all of our thoughts and all of our actions. He knows every single word before it is on our tongue, and what's most amazing is He stills loves us. None of those things change the way He feels about us, BUT the sharing of those things with Him, inviting Him into our trouble, inviting Him into our discouragement creates the connection we long for, the intimacy we were created for and the freedom we crave from the shame and discouragement that hold us back.

I am committing, that no matter how hard or scary, or maybe even painful it may be, I will keep my heart wide open before my King and let Him make something new from my broken places.

Verse of the day:

Psalm 139:1-4 (NIV)
1 You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.
4 Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.