Chapter 2

Tapping my pencil on the table, I watch the clock over the oven change, then glance at the front door waiting to see it open.

Shaking my head, I look back at my homework before pushing it away and pulling my journal from my backpack.

I erase a few words as my phone rings, making me groan as I pick it up. "Yes Dad?"

"Hey sweetie, I might be late getting home tonight, remind me the babysitters name so she can watch you." He says, a loud, rhythmic thump in the background.

"Dad, I'm fourteen, I don't need a babysitter." I say.

"Oh right, yeah I forgot. I ordered a pizza to the house, put in the fridge for me later, will ya?" My dad says before hanging up.

I let out a sigh as I check the text I got from Tracie, pulling up her number.

She answers on the second ring. "Way to keep me waiting."

"Sorry, I'm swamped with homework, so let's make this quick." I respond.

"Okay, are you sitting down?" Tracie asks, before continuing without an answer. "I heard back about that audition tape we sent last week."

"And?" I ask, chewing my thumbnail.

"They want to meet with you this weekend to discuss the character!" Tracie exclaims.

I squeal excitedly. "Wait - wait no, this weekend? I can't, my dad -"

"Oh crap, I forgot."

Silence fills the call.

"I can ask Grant to - no he has practice. Oh, my mom can take us!" Tracie says.

"Oh my god, would she?" I ask.

"Well, I haven't asked, but I don't see why not!"

"Go ask you dumb-dumb! And take the phone, I wanna say hi."

"I can't my phone is plugged in." Tracie groans as the doorbell rings.

"It's fine, my dad's pizza just got here, so I have to find money to pay. I'll call you later." I say.

"Did you wanna come over tonight? Travis hasn't made dinner yet, but I'm sure he can make an extra plate." Tracie suggests.

"It's fine, plenty of food here and mountains of homework I need to conquer. Talk later." I hang up, getting up from the table to find my money as the doorbell rings again.