Chapter 11

(Amy)

"This is going to be so much fun," Sophie said as she sorted through the box full of silk ribbon scraps. "I haven't had a night out with friends in forever."

Amy set a stack of flattened bakery boxes on the corner of the table. Her food packaging collection was threatening to take over her entire craft room, edging out the yarn and scrapbook paper. She just couldn't resist cellophane treat bags screen printed with a lace pattern or mint-green bakery boxes with heart-shaped windows. Part of the fun of giving food as gifts was making the package as pretty as possible. She was more than happy to let Trisha and Sophie raid her stash to make their Parade of Desserts offerings beautiful.

"I agree," Amy said. "I'm so glad you guys are here. We can help each other with our desserts and outfits. It'll be like a sleepover, but we get to go to a fancy party instead of end up eating brownies and watching old movies."

"I need lots of help in both areas," Trisha said as she walked into the dining room carrying a mug of coffee. "I can bake well enough, I think. I just never worry about how things look as long as they taste good."

Trisha was a lot like the food she made. Naturally beautiful, no fancy potions or glitter required. In the kitchen, her carrot cake, dark chocolate chip cookies, and a cinnamon crumb coffee cake were waiting to be fancied up with icing, glaze, and powdered sugar. The woman could probably make men drool when she hauled manure while wearing baggy overalls, rubber boots, and a thick layer of mud. Amy smiled at the blonde herbalist. "Of course we'll help. People can't sample the baked goods before they bid, so it's a bit of a sugar beauty pageant. Your desserts will be gorgeous by the time we leave here."

"Wonderful. I really would like to raise some money for the community garden." Trisha grinned. "I'm just glad it isn't an actual beauty contest. A pair of jeans without holes is dressed up to me."

"Don't worry. We've got you covered." Sophie plucked a yellow silk rose out of a storage box and slipped it behind Trisha's ear. "I think you and I are about the same size, so I brought a bunch of extra cocktail dresses that we can both choose from."

"You guys are welcome to raid my closet and jewelry box." Amy moved around the dining table to stand next to Trisha. She touched the top of her own head, then slid her hand sideways until it touched Trisha's shoulder. "But since you guys are taller than I am, my minidresses will be microminis."

Sophie waggled her eyebrows. "That might not be a bad thing. There are always at least a few hot, single guys roaming around at the parade. I am definitely checking out your closet."

They all giggled as they returned to the kitchen to begin decorating their baked goods. Amy set a heavy-bottomed pot on the stove burner. She needed to melt sugar to make the candy floss nests that would adorn the top of her cupcakes. She measured sugar into the pan and turned on the flame.

"I hope you guys realize I am going to take advantage of your generosity." Trisha flipped open the lid of the cooler she brought. She pulled out a jar and held it up. "Was there a genie in my mason jar of orange curd who magically made you come to my rescue?"

"No magic. Just friendship." Sophie shook her head as she ran a knife around the edge of a chocolate cake that was in a round pan. "Although if you do find a genie, could you save a wish for me? I sure would like to be taken off Detective Pitts's suspect list."

Trisha pulled the orange-flecked, square carrot cake from a picnic basket and began to remove the plastic wrap from around it. "You're a suspect? Really? I bet you wouldn't harm a mouse even if you found it eating chocolate chips in your pantry."