An Unexpected Arrival

Serephine looked around at her surroundings, in awe of all she saw. The ceilings were so high she thought they may never end, and the stone pillars so massive they must have taken ages to build. It was her first time stepping onto the floors of Hogwarts, and she was loving every second. Her father had decided to apparate her into the school grounds earlier than the expected arrival of the train with the headmaster's permission. However, just as soon as they arrived he had left again, leaving her with money enough and a pitiful goodbye. But she couldn't care less. In her dreamy state she failed to notice the presence of another in the front hall with her. She absentmindedly ran into the other person, knocking the book they had been engrossed in out of their hands. Serephine turned quickly and bent to pick up the book.

"Oh, forgive me! I was not paying attention at all!" She apologized, picking up the book and handing it to the boy. He seemed rather displeased and began to walk away from her. "Wait! I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure where I am or how to get here I'm going." She started, gesturing to her trunk and cage that held a beautiful spotted owl she had yet to name. "I've just transferred this year and was wondering if you could show me to the headmaster's office?"

"Shouldn't first years be on the train?" The boy replied, giving her a sideways glance.

"I'm transferring from Beauxbatons. I'm in my sixth year." She explained, her temper rising as he began to dismiss her.

"Follow me." He grunted, his long legs carrying him quickly down the hallway. Serephine levitated her things and practically sprinted after him, her belongings floating behind her.

"I'm Serephine." She greeted, offering her hand. The boy said nothing but simply grumbled in response. Serephine was rather put off by the boy's behavior, but decided that it was better to just ignore it and carry on. She took this time to observe the boy. He looked around her age and had long inky black hair that framed his face with a few shallow curls. He had a long straight nose and thin pressed lips. If it weren't for his scowling, she would have thought the boy was rather attractive. After quite a few confusing turns, they arrived at a grand statue of a bird.

"Ginger snap." The boy said, his deep voice barely a whisper. The bird moved to reveal a staircase that ascended upwards. As the boy swiftly walked away, Serephine called after him.

"Thank you!"

The boy did not turn for he found that newcomer rather annoying and secretly swore to himself to avoid her at all costs.

Serephine marched up the stairs, excitement pooling in her stomach. She waited with heavy anticipation as she knocked on the door.

"Come in!" A gentle voice announced, the door swinging open.

Serephine stepped inside, taking in all she could see. She found it quite wonderful to be surrounded by so much magic. The paintings on the walls smiled down at her as papers flew by, nestling in corners or flying out windows.

"Ah, Serephine Legreste. It is wonderful to meet you." The elderly man at the desk said, standing to greet the young woman. "I am Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster here at Hogwarts." He said, offering a hand for her to shake.

She took it with great excitement, beaming at the infamous wizard. "It is a pleasure to be here, sir."

"Here, take a seat. Would you care for a candy?" He asked, pushing a small bowl of what looked like ancient treats towards Serephinec who declined them politely for fear of a stomach ache. "Now, I presume you understand why I asked you to meet with me early."

Serephine offered a small smile before shaking her head. "I assumed you wanted to sort me into a house." She answered.

"No, no, dear child. I do rather like the embarrassment students often find in sitting before their peers while a hat tells them their virtues." He replied quickly, a mischievous twinkle taking his eyes. "No, I have called you here to discuss your classes."

Serephine nodded at the wizard, folding her hands in her lap and watching him intently.

"I understand that you are rather academically gifted. That being said, N.E.W.T. level courses are not for simple minded people and after discussing your grades with each of the professors, they hav all agreed to take you into their N.E.W.T. classes. I trust that you find this acceptable?" He asked, his crescent moon glasses shining against the light of the floating candles around them.

"Yes, sir, I very much appreciate you allowing me to transfer here." She said, offering a smile.

"Hogwarts is the best wizarding school and we shall have all of the best witches and wizards. You will fit in quite nicely around here." He added, standing from his desk. "Now, we will be late if we do not leave now." He said, offering Serephine his arm. She took it, her hand nestling in the crook of his elbow and they pleasantly talked as he guided her down to the Great Hall. Upon her arrival, she became instantly fascinated by the enchanted ceiling and the multitude of floating candles that seemed to only enhance the magical feeling of it all. She noticed the tables around were full of students wearing their respective house robes.

"Serephine!"

The young witch turned her head to a familiar boy who excitedly waved at her. Sirius Black had grown so much in the past few years, he now towered over and had grown muscle that suited his handsome face. Serephine suppressed a giggle and waved back at her cousin, satisfied at his surprise. She had not told James nor Sirius of her transfer, for she wanted to surprise them. James beamed at her, greeting her with a ferocious wave. The older James Potter got the more attractive he became, and the less Serephine could resist his charms. He was a huge flirt and she knew that, but she couldn't help but feel attracted to him.

Dumbledore guided Serephine to a short stool and allowed her to sit down while a severe looking witch eyed her.

"Welcome back to Hogwarts, those of you returning, and help us greet our first year students!" Dumbledore announced, a chorus of cheers following after. "This year we have a special transfer from Beauxbatons, Miss Serephine Legreste!" He continued, gesturing towards the younger witch. She blushed deep scarlet as another round of applause erupted from the room. "Before we sort our first years, I thought it fitting to sort Miss Legreste first, Professor Mcgonagall?"

The severe looking witch placed a ratty, patches hat upon Serephine's head.

"Ahhh, a transfer!" The hat suddenly spoke, much to Serephine's surprise. "Now what do we have here? Hmm—yes, a quick mind— lots of potential— a desire to surpass her peers. But lots of courage, yes." The hat continued, looking from side to side while it decided. " I think— SLYTHERIN!"

The table to the far right stood and clapped, a series of hoots and hollers calling her name as she rushed to sit down next to a girl around her age, who barely acknowledged her. She sat in silent wonder as other students were sorted and then Dumbledore gave a beginning of term speech. Serephine wasn't surprised she had been sorted into Slytherin. Most of her family on her mother's side were Slytherin and so was her father. She felt a little disheartened that she would not be spending as much time with her friends as she had hoped due to them being in rival houses, but she was also excited for the possibilities she was about to face.

After dinner they were escorted to their common room in the dungeons by their prefects. She was glad to find that her things had been taken to her dormitory, and that her roommates seemed pleasant enough.

Serephine could not sleep that night for she knew the next day would change her life forever.