The Least Selfish Person I Know

Qrow

I looked around and everything was white. Was I dead? The last thing I heard was, "We made it, Uncle Qrow." by Ruby's squeaky voice. Gods, how I love her. She's like Summer. Fierce. Brave. Tough. Risk-taking. Cookie-loving cuties.

Then, I saw Summer's grave and a grey smoke emitted from there and I saw Summer.

"Hey, Qrow. Long time, no see.", Summer said.

Tears welled up in my eyes. I quickly wiped them but Summer already noticed.

"Thank you for taking care of Ruby. I really appreciate it."

"Summer...", my voice trailed off. I was speechless.

"I know things haven't been easy for you, and you've got a huge task ahead of you, having to bail me out of another mess I've caused, but just know that I believe in you. I always have, and I always will. I know you can do this, because when it comes down to it..."

Summer placed her hands on my cheek and I placed my hand on hers. Tears streamed down my face and I let them fall. It's been years since I've seen Summer. We've been best friends. She was like my sister and I was like her brother.

"You're the least selfish person I know.", Summer continued.

I closed my eyes. A moment later, I opened them back up but everything was blurry. Then, I saw Summer again.

"Summer?", I said.

My vision focused and I saw Ruby. Her face beaming up with light, much like how Summer's face lit up. I was so close to Ruby because she was Summer herself. Summer had asked me one day to take care of Ruby and I still am fulfilling that task. I would do anything for her, even if that meant taking a bullet, or a Grimm attack for her.

I looked at her and smiled. "Hey, aren't I normally the one saving you?", I said.

We both gave each other a smiling look and Ruby looked like she was about to cry. I sat up on the bed and gave her a hug.

"Thanks for taking care of me, kiddo. Really appreciate it.", I said.

"No problem, Uncle Qrow. I love you."

"Love ya too, pipsqueak."

We both hugged for what seemed like days. As long as she was near, she was safe...