2007

February 14, 2007

“Seriously though, just because Pluto is super small doesn’t mean it can’t be a planet anymore.” Dexter argues with me again. He loves astronomy too much. One of the many things I’ve learned from him over a year. And I’ve learned that I just really have to simply let him talk on and on about science because he won’t even breathe to let me cut in.

“I mean, think of it. People always disregard the small ones. They always think the smaller, the less importance it has.” He says, “Haven’t it crossed anyone’s mind that without a few, there won’t be a lot? Haven’t they thought that without the small, the big can’t be created? Look at the human’s DNA, it’s tiny but without it, the humans – the larger ones, are incomplete.”

“Ugh, Deeeexter” I whine. “Speak our language. I’m sure by the end of this day, my brain would explode.”

“Well actually, did you know that the brain ca –”

“Mr. Whimper! Ms. Patterson! Stop talking at class and listen to Isabel or I’m giving you both a detention slip.”

Oops. I forgot we’re in the middle of an oral recitation. Isabel – the prettiest girl in our batch with those long waves of chocolate brown hair, big light brown eyes, and perfect set of teeth – was in the middle of telling us a story, which I think is a totally unnecessary requirement in our English class. But it was English class, so I will not make any rude comments because it’s the subject I’m best at.

“Sorry, Miss Fisher.” Dexter says.

“Yeah what he said. It won’t happen again.” I try to smile.

She eyes me suspiciously for a moment. And I really tried not to roll my eyes. Teachers always label me like how they label my brothers – a delinquent. But I’m not. Just on special occasions, maybe. But still, I’m not.

After sighing, she looks back at Isabel with a smile, “Continue Ms. Corrales.”

Isabel beams looking infinite times prettier if that was possible. She continues reading the story and I could see almost everyone in the class is just staring at her. I mean, who wouldn’t? She’s so perfect; all sunshine and everything sweet. I wouldn’t be surprised if she actually poops rainbows instead.

“It won’t happen again.” Dexter mocks me. “Really?”

“Shut up Dex, I was serious.” I gave him my best straight look, but he just had to purposely flare his nostrils at me causing me to snort obnoxiously.

Miss Fisher eyes me suspiciously again and I docked my head into my desk so she, hopefully, won’t see me.

I peeked at Dexter and saw that he was turning red from holding all the laughter inside. That evil ginger.

Then the bell rang.

“You evil science nerd!” I shout at him while glaring.

“Aw! Myra!” he cooed and pinched my fat cheeks, “You’re blushing like a tomato!”

I swat his hands away. Evil, evil little thing.

I packed my English book and all the other things on my desk back to my bag and went out the classroom with Dexter trailing behind me.

I glanced at him and try not to roll my eyes. Dexter is the slowest person I have ever met. It’s not a surprise though because he has these tiny pair of legs. And sometimes, it irritates me how I looked like a giant boulder beside him.

I look at my wrist watch and tap my feet impatiently for him to catch up with my pace. And when he’s almost within my reach, I grabbed his arm, yelled at him to hurry up, and started running to the hallway as fast as I could.