5. Rosaline's Fire Eyes

It was early Saturday morning when Gregory Sheffield woke up to the iconic sound of his Apple phone, ringing like a loud siren in his sleep filled state. He rolled over in bed and snatched it off his dresser stand quickly when he realized that it was Frederick's calling. He thought Frederick would at least have the common decency to wait after eleven to call him on the weekends.

What could he possibly want? He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and accepted the call. Before he could even process what reality he was in, Jeff had already started rambling off words like an auctioneer. Somehow Gregory managed to overhear the words, Erin, ice-cream, broken arm, and something about Elton John.

"Slow it down Frederick's. I don't even know if you're speaking English." Gregory stretched out his body sleepily, yawning into the speaker. "Now what's this about Elton John?"

"Jeez, did you not just listen to a word I said?"

"Hold up, I'm putting you on speaker, I have to take a piss."

Gregory sighed loudly and continued with his story much slower, starting off with explaining how Erin and him had met up at Darius's house to film their arthropod project which in turn, had led to an ambulance being called. "So then Erin needed a ride home. And guess who offered? Hm? Any guesses?"

"Lemme guess, you," Greg stated bluntly as he flushed the toilet.

"Heck yeah it was me, and then I asked her if she wanted to go grab a cone at Dixie Dairy Dream for the night. She said yes to that also. Man, I'm lucky that I can at least finish high school knowing that I went on one perfect date with the most beautiful girl." Gregory could practically feel him clapping his hands together with glee on the other end of the line. He wanted badly to congratulate Jeff on his first successful date and tell him how happy he was for him, but, that wasn't the type of person he was. Gregory Sheffield rarely gave out any compliments, and if he did, they were typically followed with insults.

"I would go too if you offered free ice cream. Girls don't pass down a chance like that, not in a lifetime. Especially if it's chocolate ice cream. Listen Frederick's, chocolate is like catnip for girls."

"Well, even if she did use me for the free ice cream, at least I gave her a good time."

"You gave her a good time?" Gregory grinned amusingly. "I wouldn't believe it even if I saw it right before my own two stoned eyes."

"Already? I thought you just woke up?"

"No, I'm just trolling you. I know you mean 'good time' as in conversing with your little lady friend, I get it, and since we're on the topic of lady friends, Rosaline Banker is having a Halloween party next week, " Greg said while going into more detail about the party, who was going to be there, and how he planned to get totally baked. He also wanted to try and make a move on Rosaline, but that was something he kept to himself. Feelings were meant to be felt and not shared with everyone. He'd learned that the hard way growing up with three older brothers. "If you're trying to make a move on Erin again, I'd suggest bringing her along to Rosaline's party. You guys can relax, have a couple of drinks, maybe smoke a little? Eh? C'mon and show her what it's like to date thee Jeffery Frederick's."

"You know I don't drink, let along smoke that garbage you call fun." Jeff laughed a little before continuing, "you know I'm not a party animal. I'm sure Erin would much rather prefer something like playing Scrabble, or watching Planet Earth on Netflix over some childish high school party."

"Oh boy, that sure does sound like a grand time," Gregory brusquely exclaimed as he walked back into his room. His eyes stared up at the bright color-changing LED lights that aligned his ceiling and remained still. "You sound like you're talking about a date with your grandma Ethel."