Chapter 1: Introduction to Veraú

"Mordanin, close your eyes and tell me what you see."

He shut his lids as he was told and breathed in the fresh air of the open night sky.

"I see the black eye in the middle of a golden ring, it's in a dance with a star while the rest of the universe observes. Beyond that, a vast void of desolation."

"Doz-Akhatish? Well look at that, I knew you had something in you when you stepped inside my temple but beware of what you're trying to reach here."

"Thank you, master Vinoa," Mordanin opened his eyes and stood up.

He was a young, black-haired boy, in his twenties, with a handsome face rocking a strong jaw. Master Vinoa put a hand on his shoulder and walked with him. They exited the temple and sat on the wide, marble staircase by the entrance.

"Mordanin, I've been keen to tell you this for a while, but I sense you're going to succeed the final phase much quicker than the rest of the students," master Vinoa began. "I know you've had your eye on Doz-Akhatish for the longest time, but you need to look beyond that. Think higher."

"What if I don't want to," Mordanin nagged, a bit of disappointment in the back of his words.

"It's only wise to do so," master Vinoa caressed Mordanin's hair. "You've been like a son to me ever since I found you."

Mordanin looked him in the eye and smiled. Master Vinoa's wrinkles looked almost drawn on his face, as it got lit by the moon above.

"Veraú has nothing for you, it's a bare star cluster with a single black hole."

"Not just a black hole, is it?" Mordanin said, trying to impress master Vinoa.

"Sure, but beyond those walls even Doz-Akhatish won't be in its possession anymore."

They looked up, stared at a bright dot in the empty sky, while sitting next to each other like a father and his son. No falling stars or nebulae to admire, just a clean gradient of hues flowing into each other as they neared the horizon.

"Master Vinoa, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead, son."

"Why Veraú? I wonder, out of all the billions of galaxies out there, one wouldn't think Veraú would be a candidate, would they?"

Master Vinoa chuckled.

"I know son, I've pondered that same question and it has kept me awake for too many nights. I don't know why us, Mordanin. Perhaps we were chosen, perhaps we were lucky, perhaps we happened to stumble upon the greatest mystery of the universe. We don't know what we don't know," Master Vinoa looked over at Mordanin. "But I do know it turned my hair grey."

Mordanin didn't laugh or even chuckle, he never did when master Vinoa discussed his age. He just looked up and stared, wondering, why them? Master Vinoa noticed it and cleared his throat.

"I've got something for you, Mordanin. Show me your hand."

Mordanin opened his hand and Master Vinoa took out something from his robes, but kept it hidden in his palm. He placed the item in Mordanin's hand and revealed it, like a magic trick.