I

"My name's Valerie." She said looking displeased.

"You must understand your place." Gideon, Valerie's ex, said strictly. The rest of the council observed the ongoing conflict happening before them. They had not expected two of their pupils to have such a turbulent past tainting, their abilities to function among the rest of the searchers.

"You needn't introduce yourself to me." Valerie shook her head, looking furious with her fuse shortening.

"I'm introducing myself to the counsel, not you, Gideon." She spat his name growling at his stupidity. Gideon got a sheepish look on his face.

"Anyways... We called you here today to discuss the chaos both of you have created since coming here." Valerie and Gideon gulped guilty. Everyone knew that the counsel never takes lightly on scoundrels. A reprimand from them is the absolute worst thing imagined by the pupils of the searchers. But right before the council could continue their reprimanding, a page entered the hall, bearing a distressed facial expression.

"Sir Isaac Lewis has returned to the capital!" The council stood up, and all walked out of the room. Valerie and Gideon quickly scattered out the back door grinning because of their fortunate escape from punishment. The arrival of sir Isaac Lewis was groundbreaking for the entirety of searchers. He had built the searching society from the ground up. In the old times the land of Quaerere had been in disarray, but luck shone upon Quaerere as a group of wise men stood tall on mount Sapientia, and offered their services to the holy search, resulting in the dawn of a new era.

"Princeps' luck!" Gideon laughed victorious.

"Do not get too excited, Gideon. The searchers always keeps track of their apprentices' wrong doings." Gideon rolled his eyes.

"You always find a way to darken the mood."

"I'm telling you!" Valerie's outburst was loud enough to catch Gideon off guard.

"This is why I broke up with you." He said fast, like ripping off a bandaid.

"You broke up with me? YOU broke up with ME?!" Valeri advanced towards Gideon. He stood tall, ready to defy her. They were so close they were almost touching. Valerie could feel Gideon's breath on her face. She had to look up to find his eyes. They just stared at each other, the tension between them growing. It was as if their eyes were fighting for dominance, searching for the slightest sign of instability. And there it was.

"Your breath reeks of rotten garlic soup." Valerie attacked. She had hit him at the exact moment his fleeting vulnerability showed, making him crumble weakly underneath her. She turned around and started walking away from him, exaggerating her angry steps to get her point across. Her point being that she won and didn't need him.