one

January eleventh of 2000 did not start as a fun day for Riley Casey

January eleventh of 2000 did not start as a fun day for Riley Casey. It was just three months after she left Chicago, her home, as well as the family she had grown to know and love to live a distant relative she didn't know.

Her aunt and her husband were both very nice, but Riley was used to her adoptive family and was annoyed she had to move from Chicago to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. She didn't know anybody and already had a hard time making friends and now she had to start at a whole new school.

When Riley arrived at her new high school, she headed straight for the front office, not bothering to look around the building. A boy around Riley's age dressed in a football uniform was leaned standing off to the side, talking to what looked to be his friend. 

"Can I help you, hun?" the woman at the front desk asked, looking at Riley. 

"Oh yes, sorry, Today's supposed to be my first day here" Riley explained to the woman. 

The woman asked for Riley's name before she walked away, going to look for the young girl's schedule.

Riley couldn't help but look back to where the football boy was standing and sure enough he was still there, except this time he was also looking at her. He sent her a shy smile, making her blush before looking away.

"Okay, here is your schedule and a map of the school. Since it's only a few months into the school year and everything is still crazy we don't really have anyone to show you around, but-" the woman explains to Riley but is suddenly cut off.

"It's okay, Ms. P, I can show her around" a friendly voice says, causing Riley to look at the person who offered to help her.

Sure enough, football boy smiles at her.

"Oh, would you, Jamie? This is Riley Casey, she's in your grade" the woman, Ms. P, says before getting back to work.

"You don't have to show me around, really, I wouldn't want to bother you" Riley told him but Jamie shook his head"I would love to, come on we have thirty minutes before first period" Jamie says, before taking Riley's hand and pulling her out of the office.

----------------------

Half of the day had gone by and it was time for lunch, Riley spent most of her classes thinking about Jamie and his stupid smile that made butterflies fly around in her stomach.

She had talked to some people but only briefly and not enough to call them friends yet. 

After getting her tray of food, she looked around the lunchroom, not really sure where to sit or what to do. She spotted an empty table and was planning to take it until someone put their hand on her shoulder.

"Hey, you can come sit with me and my friends if you want?" Jamie offered as he pointed to a table with a group of four guys sat around it.

"Are you sure? I don't want to intrude, I can go sit at that empty table, it's not a big deal" Riley tells him, worried that she would bother his friends.