37

Thank you @Anonomousauthor123 for the feedback on my story! I'm so glad you loved "the princess and the Devil"!

I was cleaning up the apartment when i heard a knock at the door. I put down my things down and headed for the door. I opened it up and smiled at who i saw. "Joe! What a surprise." I said as i hugged him.

He looked the same as he always did. He was built from his years in the service. He was handsome as hell with his arm covered in tattoos i drew for him and the scars littering his body. "Hello little miss king," he said hugging me back and giving me a small kiss on the top of my head.

"What are you doing here?" i asked pulling away. I opened the door wider for him letting him step inside.

"A favor for your mother," he said. "It seems that I am sent to protect you again."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "I don't need protecting."

"Don't make this hard. It's just to appease your mother. Please I'll be out of your way and soon your mother will tell me to stop."

"I don't understand her sudden fear for my protection."

We walked further in and sat on the couch. "The hellraisers are moving to strike against Lucchese. They are the last to hold out against them."

"What does that have to do with me?"

"Your mother is scared that you'll be a target."

I sighed. "Joe, you know i am always happy to see you but i can take care of myself."

He smiled. "I know you can but you are still the little girl i've been taking care of her whole life. It's just until Lucchese can hold them off or the hellraisers take them over."

"Okay, of course you're welcome to stay here. I'll just have to talk to my roommate."

"Thank you and i promise, i'll try my best to stay out of your way."

"Or you can help me clean."

He nodded. "I'd be happy to." the two of us stood up and resumed cleaning. Joe used to babysit me when i was younger. He'd do my chores with me, spar with me, and play games with me. When i was good, he let me draw tattoo designs on him, some he would even end up getting professionally done.

We finished cleaning and relaxing on the couch when Lauren came back. Joe jumped up blocking me from view. I put my hand on his arm. "It's okay, she's my roommate."

Joe nodded and sat back down beside me. Lauren unsubtly looked Joe up and down. "So why is this extremely hot man sitting on our couch and why is he so hot?"

Joe chuckled leaning back against the couch. "Keep it in your pants Lauren. This is Joe, he was my bodyguard back home. My mom is nervous for me and he's gonna be staying with us for a little while until she calms down if that's alright with you."

"Why couldn't we have been friends our whole life? You are constantly surrounded by beautiful men."

I rolled my eyes at her but knew she was correct. The rest of the day was spent with Joe installing a new security system for the apartment and Lauren bombarding him with extremely personal questions that he happily answered as well he could.

I set up Joe on the couch for the night after telling him i was safe in my room. I kissed Joe on the cheek before going to bed. The next morning i found Joe posted outside my bedroom door. "Joe did you sleep?" i yawned.

"No ma'am, it was more important to keep you safe."

I sighed. "We both know i'm safe. You're overreacting."

"I underreacted about your safety a few years ago and you got hurt in the worst way, i will not be doing that again. Your safety is the most important thing."

I wrapped my arms around him. He slowly wrapped his arms around me relaxing in my embrace. "It wasn't your fault."

"I was too late to help you."

"You couldn't have known." i pulled away and put my hands on his shoulders. "Joe, i don't blame you and i can't let you keep blaming yourself."

"I can't help it, little one. I failed you and i failed your parents."

"You didn't fail them and you most definitely didn't fail me. I told you not to follow me inside, i accepted a drink from someone i didn't know but even after all that it was still one hundred percent Tanner and his boys fault. I know it's hard but please try to remember that okay?"

He nodded. "Yes ma'am." i smiled. Our little moment ended at the sound of my stomach growling. He smiled. "Let's get some food into little miss King, shall we?" i nodded. We walked into the kitchen. I sat down on the stool. "What would you like for breakfast?"

"Surprise me."

He nodded. He turned around and looked through the kitchen to find food to cook with. Lauren stumbled sleepily out of her room sitting down beside me. "He's cute and he cooks?" she swooned. "Ooo Max better get here soon before i act up."

I saw Joe's shoulders shake at her comment but he didn't respond. He silently cooked for us for about twenty minutes before announcing that the food was done. "Where are the plates?" he asked.

"I'll get them," Lauren said, jumping up from her seat. She headed over to the cabinet grabbing three plates from the top shelf. She dropped a plate jumping back.

I yelped as i was pushed to the ground and a body laid on top of me. "Stay down," Joe ordered.

"Joe hey hey hey it's okay," I said, blocking him from grabbing his gun hidden behind his back. "It was a plate not a gunshot. I'm okay."

He rolled off of me onto his back and closed his eyes breathing heavily "I'm i'm sorry I thought I was in I didn't-"

"It's okay," I whispered. I sat up. "You okay?" He nodded. "Joe how long has it been since you slept?" He shook his head, not answering me. I sighed. "Go take a nap in my room."

"No it's alright. I have to keep watch."

"Joe I'll lock all the doors and set the alarm. Now go to my room and sleep, that's an order."

"Yes ma'am." He stood up and pulled me to stand. He waited until I locked and set the alarm before going into my room. I sat back down on the stool.

"What was that all about?" Lauren asked as she scooped the potato egg and veggie mix onto two plates.

"He was stationed in Iraq and when he doesn't get enough sleep he gets flashbacks. It used to happen a lot when I was little. He'd stay with me when my parents and siblings were out and any loud sound would trigger him. He'd only sleep when I begged him and laid down with him."

She looked at me questionably. "I gotta ask, are you two- i mean have you ever-? He's very attractive and you two are very close."

"Joe and me? Ew. Joe helped raise me. He sees me as a daughter and only a daughter."

"Alright alright, i just had to ask." she handed me my plate. We both dove right into the meal.

"I'm sorry about him," i said with a full mouth. "He's really protective of me."

"I can tell," she said with a small smile. "I can also tell that Justin is going to be extremely jealous when he sees the two of you so you better be ready for Mr overbearing Possessive to come out in full force."

***********************************************************************************************

well today is my birthday! I don't have much planned because of covid but I am going to see my best friend for the first time in months so I am happy about that! I hope everyone has a great day and thanks for reading!