Before...

~Marcel~

I pulled the car door closed and Mason sped out of the driveway. The sun was barely rising and the streets were deserted. Mason's music played quietly from the radio as I looked out the window.

Mason glared at the road, paying no attention to anything but the road. He had one hand on the wheel and the other running through his hair.

"What's the deal with this guy anyways?" I asked, turning to face him.

He glanced at me and focused back on the road. I could tell he was thinking by the scowl he had on his face, normally it would be a smirk.

"He has a big order for us, says it comes from the government. We can't know for sure what his deal is and that's where you come in." I nodded my head and looked back to the window.

Mason slowed down a bit and reached over to the glove box. He rummaged around for a few seconds before pulling out a lighter and a box of cigarettes. He lit one and inhaled the smoke before letting it out and glancing at me.

"You know... It's hard to do this job without you. Thanks for tagging along even if you want out, it means a lot." He smiled at me before speeding up.

"I only tag along because dad would kill me if I didn't." He laughed but let out a heavy sigh at the end, knowing how true my statement was.

"Point taken but still, thanks." I slightly smiled at him before looking out at the trees that we sped past.

We drove for another three hours before Mason pulled into a dirt driveway leading up to a big house that was surrounded by the same forest we had just driven past.

"You sure this guy is selling everything to the government?" I stepped out of the car and put my hand in the pockets of my jean jacket.

"Does it matter to us, he's paying good money for it all." I shrugged it off, he had a point.

We quietly walked to the door. I stood behind Mason as he knocked three times on the door even though there was a bell. We waited in silence, staring at the big wooden door.

It slowly opened and there stood a thirty-year-old man. His hair gelled back, expensive-looking clothes, and a cigarette hanging from his chapped lips.

"You boys must be the sons of Madoc right?" Mason stiffly nodded his head while I just gave the man a cold stare down. "Come on in, I'll get you boys a beer."

He led us to the living room and handed us both a beer. We looked at each other and then at the man.

"We came here for business, not to socialize." I spat while Mason drank his beer like the drunk he was.

"Oh, of course, I'm just waiting on my business partner. He should be here any second."

We all sat on the sofa but the man stood back up to open the door, a younger-looking man walked in holding a notebook and checkbook.

"Thank you guys for coming on such short notice. I'm Darren." The guy took a seat and flipped through the notebook. "This is all the stuff we need." Mason took the notebook from him and looked it over, glancing at me.

"We just need to know how much of the order you can fill." The older man spoke. "We are still working out everything, trying to find others who could contribute to the list so whatever you guys can't fill we got covered by others."

I looked at the list. Two pages, front to back.

"When do you need this?" Mason asked, flipping through the pages over and over. When they didn't answer he looked up. "I need a date before we can move on."

"We just need to know how much of the order you guys can fill."

"All of it." The two guys' heads turned to me with wide eyes.

"Even if you did have all this I doubt it would be of any good quality." I stood up, glaring at them as I got in their faces.

"Why don't you boys go find yourselves another contributor then? I'm sure you can provide all the legal paperwork that they require." Darren gulped while the older man widened his eyes.

"Paperwork?"

"Yeah, lots of it." I backed up and stood next to Mason. "If you don't trust your supplier then why not come and check out our stock, I'm sure you'll be more than pleased with what we have." My calmness freaked them out like it did everyone else.

They turned to each other and had a silent conversation. Mason was smirking next to me, holding in a laugh. I watched the two men as they kept stealing looks at us, only to turn back around as soon as they met my glare.

Slowly they walked back up to us.

"We need at least half of it by the end of the month. Do you guys deliver?"

"Twenty percent." Darren's mouth fell open.

"Twenty percent to deliver?"

"We are good at what we do."

"Fifteen percent."

"Thirty." His calm expression fell, replaced by an annoyed one.

"Ten."

"Fine, fifty."

The older man cut in.

"We'll give you twenty-five."

I thought it over in my head, making both men nervous. Mason looked at me, knowing exactly what I was doing.

"It's a deal. The first half of the order will be delivered by the end of the month." We all shook hands as Mason and I walked out the door.

When he pulled out of the driveway Mason busted out laughing. He slapped the wheel.

"Man, they were about to piss their pants." Mason burst out laughing again.

This is exactly why I always have to tag along with my brother, he was never the serious type unless it was a matter of life or death.

"Breakfast is on me. You, my young brother, are a prodigy." I grimace.

I hated the fact that he was right and how I would have to take over the business. Father always pushed me harder to do this stuff. Mason was content being a follower but I rebelled the second he gave me a direct order. Hence why he always has to threaten me to go with my brother.

We drove back home, stopping by a burger place to grab breakfast. Mason was happy and that meant that our father would be happy. We did good work so the pay wouldn't be half bad compared to what we got when we did a bad job.

When we got back we handed one of the guys the list, he stamped it with our names and gave it to another guy who would begin looking for everything.

We walked around the place, looking at everything we had. Every single one of these crates was filled with our product, and it made us a lot of money.

Mason knocked on the door to the office and slowly walked in, me following close behind.

"How did it go?" Father sat in his big chair, counting all the stacks that lay on his desk.

"Twenty-five." My dad looked impressed as he began to count out a new stack. "They want half delivered by the end of the month." He nodded his head in approval.

He stopped counting and picked up two stacks, handing them to Mason. He greatly took them and walked out of the office. He picked up another two stacks and handed them to me.

"I want you on the lookout all of next week. Cancel any plans and don't be late to the drop." I stiffly nodded my head, taking the stack from him and walking out of his office.