Chapter One

*please note: this book is going to undergo editing sometime between 02/04/21-18/02/21. I'll try to only edit grammar errors but if the plot doesn't make sense it may change slightly.*
I was set for my next caper. To steal the opals V.I.L.E. had been collecting from a mine in Quilpie, Queensland - one of the biggest opal mining towns in Australia. The opals had been mined legally, V.I.L.E. was simply pilfering a piece of each shipment for themselves.

It was time to go back down under.

Luckily, I shouldnt see Gray this time. He resides in Sydney, New South Wales. Every time I see Gray things get... complicated.

I looked out the window, gazing at the cloud coverage. It seemed Brisbane was getting some rain, which was nice, seeing as the whole country was in drought. Once we touched down at the airport, Zack and Ivy would drive me out to Quilpie. Although there is an airport there, Player was unable to get clearance to land us there. The alternative: a ten and a half hour drive.
Once we touched down, we hired a car.
"Yes, road trip!" Exclaimed Zach.
"Ugh brother, nobody wants to be stuck in the car with you for ten hours. Carm, I hope you're ready for some intense karaoke!"
I laughed. "Indeed I am."

After a singalong so long it may set a world record, we had arrived. The Great Australian Outback. Nothing but dirt, rocks and kangaroos for miles. It was beautiful, yet deadly. Most importantly, in the setting afternoon sun, it was red. We were staying at a motel usually used by the crew of the mines. I planned to get a few hours sleep before I pulled off the biggest caper yet.

11:00pm, AEST

I woke to a shrill ringing. My alarm. Due to so much travel, I had to sleep when I could manage. I hate time-zones.

I opened my suitcase and removed my trademark red fedora and coat. Luckily, the desert is cold at night, so I was sufficiently acclimatised. I went into the kitchen to grab a snack, and I found an extremely sleepy brother/sister duo.
"Hello you two."
"Hiya boss." Zack said sleepily. Ivy simply waved.
"Be ready crew, we have to leave in 40 minutes to get there before the opals are moved out to the shipping yard."
I proceeded to munch on an apple. Red, of course.

A little over two hours later, we arrived at the drop point. I checked my watch. 1:03am. Nobody was outside the mine, but it was protected by a large iron fence. I placed my scrambling device on it. "Player, do your thing."
"No problem Red... Security cameras deactivated, door unlocked."
Then I was in.
My goal: Steal one third of the shipment. I would load it into sacks and run it to the ute. This way, the authorities would be alerted in the morning and they would know someone was stealing the opals. When traced, all evidence should lead to V.I.L.E. The opals I took would be given to A.C.M.E. for a safe return.

I got to the storage area. The opals were all stored in crates, but the lids were not yet on. That made my job easier. I started loading sacks to carry to the outside of the mine, where Zach and Ivy were waiting. Due to being underground, I didn't have Player to guide me - the signal was weak.

I was just dragging my fourth sack out to the vehicle when someone appeared out of nowhere, emerging from a door in the wall.

It was Gray.

I had no idea what he was doing here, but my goal was to slip past him undetected. Luckily, he turned down a different shaft to the one I needed.

Whilst transporting my fifth sack, I was interrupted yet again. A giant hole appeared. A man shape hole. El Topo emerged. I took off running down the corridor, zig-zagging to try and confuse him. But there was an issue. Le Chevre would surely be waiting outside. Goats up high, moles down low. I knew the drill.

Suddenly, my escape got even more complicated. Gray reappeared, walking back towards the door he came from. This time he saw me, and El Topo. Worse, El Topo saw him.
"Crackle?" he called, curiously.
Gray looked up. In that moment, I knew I had no choice to take him with me. If V.I.L.E. got a hold of him, things would go very badly for both of us.
I ran towards him and grabbed his hand, dragging him with me.
"Carmen, what are you doing here?" And why are you holding a sack full of opals? You're not stealing them, are you?"
"No time to explain Gray, you're in danger. We'll discuss this later. Now run faster!"
He followed my instructions, but not before pausing to say, "It's Graham."
We tumbled out of the mine shaft. Sure enough, I spotted Le Chevre in the shadows, waiting to pounce.
"Get in the car!" I yelled at Gray, tossing the sack of opals into the tray of the ute and strapping down all the bags. At the same time Zack started the engine I hopped into the tray. We drove like maniacs, attempting to loose our tail. It took five minutes before we shook the V.I.L.E. operatives. It seemed we were going to have to take Gray, sorry, Graham, to HQ and tell him what was going on.

There was no alternative.