𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉ℯ𝓇 𝒪𝓃ℯ

"Leon, I'm gonna....."

I stuck out my arms, catching my younger brother, Luca, age 16, before he could hit the floor. The various food items I had in my hands went flying to the floor, releasing a loud bang. I pulled Luca up to a standing position, moving him so that he was adjusted on my back for the time being.

"Shit, he fell asleep?" My older sister, age 21 rounded the corner, picking up the food and placing it in her cart. My older sister, Cora, sighed tiredly, staring at Luca. Her kid, a three year old girl named Athena, swung her legs as she watched the exchange.

"Yeah. He's fine though, I've got him." I waved her off, glancing at the grocery list I held in my hand. It was crumpled up, smudged ink across it. "We just have to grab some frozen pizzas."

"Unca Luca?" Athena asked, pointing at him. I walked behind Cora as she sped to quickly grab the pizza so we could get out.

"He fell asleep! How silly of him!" I exclaimed, smiling softly. She nodded in agreement, eyes searching for Cora.

We walked up to the self checkout, I handed Cora a twenty but she waved me off, inserting her credit card. She grabbed the receipt, walking the cart outside. She picked Athena out, placing her down as she picked up the three bags of groceries.

I heard Luca groan a little, moving his head. We piled into Cora's hot pink Jeep, with no windows or a top. I place Luca in next to Athena who is already in her car seat. I buckled him, hopping into the passenger seat.

Cora climbed in, starting the engine. I heard Luca whimpering so I turned back to see him rubbing his eyes as his cheeks went aflame. Athena was busy with a doll to notice Luca hurriedly wipe tears as they ran down his face.

"I'm....sorry." He choked out, sniffling loudly. "I shouldn't have even came. I never should." He had worked himself up so much, that his eyes rolled back in his head as he passed out again. I sighed, facing the road again.

"So, where's Brent been?" Brent is Athenas father. He randomly shows up, gives Athena a gift to try and buy her off, and then will fuck Cora until the sun comes up but leave before any of us can question him.

"I think he left town to go visit New York City. I've always wanted to go there. It's so magical." Cora explained, voice in awe.

"I guess. I've never really wanted to go anywhere." I shrugged, leaning my head back. "I mean, it's not like I can leave anyways." I pointed at my fancy ankle bracelet the police had given me a few months ago.

"Ah yes, house arrest at its finest." I rolled my eyes, scratching my chin.

"Unca Luca sweeping!" Athena squealed, giggling as she leaned over and poked his cheek. I turned around, eyebrows raised. "Wakey wakey!"

"Athena, Uncle Luca is just taking a little nappy right now. Let's leave him alone okay?" Cora said in her mom voice. Athena pulled her hand back, already becoming distracted with her doll again.

Luca has bags under his eyes and the other day he was beat up by a couple kids at the skate park. He had a bruised eye and a split lip. His eyes fluttered and they shot open.

"Fuck." He whispered, slamming his head back. Athena looked over, eyes wide and giggling.

"Bad word! Mama, bad word!" She giggled manically, kicking her legs.

"Luca! Language." She whipped him a glare. He flipped her off, rubbing his head.

We reached the house. I climbed out of the car, gathering two of the bags and handing Luca the bag full of chips. We placed them on the table as Athena came running in, Cora holding the two jugs of milk. She shut the door behind her, placing the jugs on the counter.