08 GEORGE'S PLAN

MRS. STICK had overheard the conversation on the telephone at least, she had heard George's side of it. She knew that George's mother was better and that her father would not return till her mother could be brought home. That would be in about ten days! The Sticks could have a fine time till then, no doubt about that!

George suddenly found that her appetite had come back. She ate her bacon hungrily, and scraped the dish round with a piece of bread. She had three cups of tea, and then sat back contentedly.

"I feel better," she said. Anne slipped her hand in hers. She was very glad that her aunt was going to be all right. If it wasn't for those awful Sticks they could have a lovely time. Then George said something that made Julian cross.

"Well, now that I know Mother is going to be better, I can stand up to the Sticks all right by myself with Timmy. So I want you three to go back home and finish the hols without me. I shall be all right."

"Shut up, George," said Julian. "We've argued this all out before. I've made up my mind, and I don't change it, any more than you. do, when I've made it up. You make me cross."

"Well," said George, "I told you I'd got a plan, and you don't come into it, I'm afraid... and you'll find you'll have to go back home whether you mean to or not."

"Don't be so mysterious, George!" said Julian, impatiently. "What is this strange plan? You'd better tell us, even if we're not in it. Can't you trust us?"

"Yes, of course. But you might try to stop me," said George, looking sulky.

"Then you'd certainly better tell us," said Julian feeling uneasy. George was such a madcap once she got ideas into her head. Goodness knows what she might do!

But George wouldn't say another word. Julian gave it up at last, but secretly made up his mind not to let George out of his sight that day. If she was going to carry out some wild plan, then she would have to do it under his, Julian's, eye!

But George didn't seem to be carrying out any wild plan. She bathed again with the others, went for a walk with them, and went for a row on the sea. She didn't want to go to Kirrin Island, so the others didn't press her, thinking that she didn't want to be out of sight of the beach in case Edgar came with a message from her father.

It was quite a pleasant day. The children bought sausage rolls again, and fruit, and picnicked on the beach. Timmy had a large and juicy bone from the butcher's.

"I've got a bit of shopping to do," said George, about tea-time. "You others go and see if Mrs. Stick is getting some tea for us, and I'll fly down to the shops and get what I want."

Julian pricked up his ears at once. Was George sending them off so that she could be alone to carry out this mysterious plan of hers?

"I'll come with you," said Julian, getting up. "Dick can tackle Mrs. Stick for once, and take Timmy with him."

"No, you go," said George. "I won't be long."

But Julian was determined not to go. In the end they all went with George, for Dick did not want to face Mrs. Stick without Julian or George.

George went into the little general shop and got a new battery for her torch. She bought two boxes of matches, and a bottle of methylated spirit.

"Whatever do you want that for?" said Anne in surprise.

"Oh, it might come in useful," said George, and said no more.

They all went back to Kirrin Cottage. Tea was actually on the table! True, it was not a thrilling tea, being merely bread and jam and a pot of hot tea... still it was there, and was eatable.