Part 15

Lizzy was surprised at the change to Longbourn in so short a time. If she had not been there and witnessed it with her own eyes, she never would have imagined that less than an hour before, the entire house had been in chaos and Mrs Bennet, who now sat calmly over a book, had spent the afternoon alternating between panic and despair. Lizzy eyed the book a little closer, unsurprised when Mrs Bennet did not turn the page for quite some time. It was unlikely she was reading at all, but she would very much like to be thought to be reading, and so she would not relinquish her hold on her book until the moment their guest arrived.

As if he had heard her thoughts and timed his arrival to answer them, a sharp rap at the door preceded the muted hustle of servants and the lately-anticipated Mr Collins was swept into the very centre of the Longbourn parlour.

"Mr Bennet!" He crossed the room in three long strides, bending to shake Mr Bennet's hand almost before that gentleman had succeeded in rising from his seat.

"Mr Collins," Elizabeth's father responded, smiling at the young man with a certain degree of genuine warmth. Lizzy was pleased to note that this was returned by Mr Collins, who held her father's hand a moment longer than necessary.

"William, please! We are family, are we not?"

Here, he smiled, and turned to survey the rest of those he included in the term. Something about the picture must have pleased him for his smile grew as his eyes rested first on Mary, who was hidden in the far corner, then Jane and Elizabeth, Lydia, Kitty and, at last, Mama, who affected still to read, until Mr Collins cleared his throat and bowed theatrically low.

"And you must be the eldest Miss Bennet, I assume? For you are surely not advanced enough in years to be the mother of any of the elegant young ladies present!"

It was a poor attempt at flattery, but if any lady was liable to fall for such nonsense, it was Mrs Bennet, and she fairly dropped her book in her eagerness to scramble to her feet, taking Mr Collins's hand in both of hers and exclaiming over her delight in at last being able to put a face to the name of her husband's close relative, and how sorry she had been to hear of his father's passing.

With both their guest and Mama thus occupied, Lizzy decided she was safe to take a longer examination of the new arrival and was surprised to find he was not quite as odious as she had expected from Mama's fretting. His face did not display the heavy brow or habitual scowl of a man likely to turn a house of womenfolk out into the street, nor the charm of a snake who is well used to bending those around him to his will. No, it was a thoroughly unremarkable face, atop a tall, slightly shabbily-dressed figure. Lizzy must have known it was unlikely that the mysterious Mr Collins would be wealthy, for he was a curate, but she noticed the care with which his clothing had been pressed and, on occasion, repaired, and thought it indicative of his good character.

"...and this is Elizabeth." Mrs Bennet's voice reached Lizzy's ears, at last, pulling her out of her reverie. She had been introducing each of her daughters in turn, and Lizzy coloured, a little ashamed to have been caught observing their guest so closely.

"Good afternoon," Mr Collins said, with a self-deprecating smile. "I see I shall have to compile a list of all your attributes alongside each name, for I am sure to confuse you." He turned to Jane. "You are...Miss Lydia, I believe?"

"That's Jane!" Lydia squealed, in mock-outrage. "I think of all my sisters you should take great care to note my name, William!"

Despite his invitation to Mr Bennet to use his first name, Lydia's leap to familiarity fell like a lead weight in the already tense room, and Lizzy winced, wondering whether Papa or Mama would be first to correct their daughter. Lydia was aware of the gaffe, and indeed Lizzy remained certain that she had done it on purpose to provoke a reaction. It surprised her, then, when Mr Collins afforded her none.

"Indeed, I shall, Miss Lydia. Now, I hope you shall not think me too ill-mannered if I request a moment to see to my things and refresh myself. It was not an arduous journey from Kent, but I fear I am not appearing to my best advantage, coated in half the mud of Hertfordshire." He pulled a face, and Mrs Bennet seized hold of his arm once more, steering him warmly towards the door.

"Of course, of course. We have put you in the blue room, Mr Collins. I hope you do not mind that? It is our best guest room, and very comfortable for a bachelor such as yourself...you are a bachelor, I believe...?"

Lizzy glanced at Jane and saw her own grimace mirrored in her sister's pretty features. Not even five minutes under their roof and already Mama was set to make a match. The question shall be, then, which of us she plans to match him with. She bit her lip, unable to help comparing this tall, quiet gentleman with another of her acquaintance and wondering when, or if, Fitzwilliam Darcy were to ever set foot across the threshold of Longbourn. Would he be welcome? she wondered. Once, he might have been. But now...would he care to come at all?