Chapter Fifteen

Without a second thought, Scarlet knew what she needed to do. Unsure of what was truly going to happen if she left with Ash, at least she'd get to see her parents again. But what if she never came back? What if all this work was for nothing and he was just lying the entire time? A part of her couldn't trust him. The only thing keeping her connection with Ash was Silver. Seeing that with her own eyes, the way her best friend was swept up so easily, she wanted to believe that Ash told her the truth. Even still, maybe her parents weren't even there. Now she was so caught up in trying to figure out how to handle the situation, doubt flashed through her mind.

Then all she could hear was Silver's voice and how much he'd want her to do this, even if none of this was the truth. He would save them all without thinking. That was what made him so amazing. Every step of this way he barely thought, except when she could have been in danger. It only made her want to be more like him. And that's when she knew there was no other option.

"So, about risking your life. Will you do it?" Ash repeated, staring at her with his arms crossed.

Once again, being asked to risk her life gave her chills, but her answer gave no room for anything other than courage. "Yes, let's go."

The blank look plastered on his face turned into an evil grin almost too quickly. "Wonderful," he answered, picking her up off the ground.

She screamed, knowing she was going through the same thing Silver did hours before, but she chose this. With the way he moved and held her so tightly, she wasn't so sure of herself now. It was too late now, though. Risking her life began the moment he snapped his fingers.

Her voice got softer the more she yelled, her throat beginning to go raw. If only Silver was here and could provide some water, but it was no use thinking about that now. She did try to understand everything Silver thought as she went through the same thing he did. Managing to open her eyes after being too afraid to see what was going to happen, all she could see was black. For a moment she thought it was because of her sunglasses, but even after she slid those off, there was nothing but darkness.

"Ah yes, I forgot to tell you to hold on. I must've intentionally left that out. And stop your screaming, you're blowing my eardrums out."

They were floating in the dark, leaving Scarlet confused on what was going on, but eventually she calmed down, rolling her eyes at his comment. She didn't want to hold on to Ash, yet she had no choice. Ignoring what he said, she asked, "Where are we?"

"No reason to tell you now. This is nothing of importance, but trust me, you'll know when we get where we're supposed to be."

"How?"

"You'll see. Enough questions."

Closing her eyes again, Scarlet thought the time would pass faster this way. Though she was curious to see everything, she knew she needed to rest. With no idea how to save her parents or Silver, she couldn't waste her energy on trying to fight. It would be no use to try it now when there was no point. While waiting, she wondered if her parents would be happy to see her. Maybe they wouldn't have wanted her to show up, but she couldn't just leave them. She loved them too much for that, just like Silver. If she was faced with both of them at the same time, would she be able to save them? Or would she have to choose? That thought made her shudder.

With rough bouncing against the ground, Ash was right. He didn't have to tell her that they arrived where she needed to be. Scarlet opened her eyes, watching as Ash slid across the dark ground, rocks flying up above his feet. Straight ahead of her, a white tall building stood in her view, colors of red and blue appearing at the bottom. Wherever they were, she realized she wasn't that far from her parents or her best friend. Wanting to jump down and run towards them, excitement and nerves bubbled through her bones. She waited though. Any wrong move could set Ash off; who knows what he would do to her if she advanced at the wrong time.

Setting her down, Ash pushed her forward. "Follow me. You're under my rules now."

Just as she suspected, she walked carefully behind him, staying quiet so she wouldn't say anything about the non-existent plan in her head to save everyone. Still, she wanted to know why he wanted her. What made her so special that those two people would say he was after her? Nevertheless, silence ran around outside, other than the footsteps between them.

Ash waved a hand at the door of the large, white building letting the door open. It was fascinating. Scarlet's jaw dropped at the design of it all. Everywhere she looked, it was all clear glass. From the tables and chairs to the roof of the building, she could see it all. And that only made her wonder more why there was color on the outside of the building but not the inside.

He looked down at her, moving her forward again through the first room. "Your parents are this way."

Scarlet raised an eyebrow. "You're just going to take me to them?"

Ash laughed, directing her to the left. "Of course. You can't get to them anyway. You can only see them. It'll make both of you suffer."

Now she hated him even more, not wanting to say a single word, but she longed to see them. Even if she couldn't run to give them a hug, just knowing they were okay sent relief through her. But when she got into the clear room and saw her parents, she knew exactly what he meant by making her suffer. Her mother's red hair was ruffled, with scratches all along her body and her face full of dirt. Scarlet's father was in no better condition. They were both sitting on the cold floor, yet the pain she felt for her parents only got worse. They were in a clear bubble. Their arms smacked against the glass when they saw her walk in the room, mouths open and closing as if they were screaming for her, but no sound came through the glass. Running toward them, Scarlet touched the glass in the same spot where her mother's hand was and said, "I love you."

But of course, they couldn't hear her. It was worse than anything she could've imagined. When she received no response from her parents, her raw voice screamed as loud as she could muster, "How could you? Why? Why would you do this? What did they ever do to you?"

Ash laughed. "Oh, so much. If only you knew the trouble your parents have caused me."

"I...I don't understand. They wouldn't hurt anyone."

"Of course you don't. But don't you worry, you will learn it all in time. Hopefully before something happens to them." His famous grin appeared on his face again, telling her she didn't have much time. If only she knew exactly how much time.

She wanted to hug them, laugh with them, be normal with them again. But she could only do it if they got out of here. She would find a way. There was no doubt in her mind that she would go home with them.

But her world fell into a million pieces when she noticed Silver's bright blue eyes at the other end of the room. There was a machine whirring away. She guessed it was to control the glass her parents were stuck in. And there he was, with his hands on the controls, not even daring to look at her.

 And there he was, with his hands on the controls, not even daring to look at her