Prologue

Her breathing ragged as she stopped her tracks. Exhaustion crept to her body causing her legs to weaken. She could feel the pain on her knees but she's too tired to even bother. Blood trickled down from her nose, tears fell and her vision blurred. She knows she's losing her senses.

No, not now. Just a few more steps and I can get out of here.

With all the strength she could muster, she held the wall beside her as she stood up. But, before she could even move, a sudden explosion came. Small tremors and screams of despair surrounded the place.

The girl bit her lips, suppressing the reluctance she just felt. Her heart ached to escape but part of it still yearns to stay. Carmela immediately shrugged the feeling off, disregarding its presence and wished it gone already. She knew she needed to flee.

After all, this war won't end until one of them finds her.

Barefooted, she runs as fast as she could. Time never felt so valuable for her.

Five. Ten. Fifteen. She's been running for fifteen minutes already but she never stopped. No matter how sore her muscles felt, Carmela kept her pace.

Finally! Her eyes lit up as soon as the shore started to appear, but, destiny seems to like playing with her.

A jolt invaded her system as the hand grabbed onto her arms, firm enough to hold her back. The person then hooked his arms onto her waist and placed her in a tight hug.

This scent.....this warmth.

Carmela's eyes flickered.

Of all the people who could see me walk away, why did it have to be you?

Her almond eyes reddened and she knew tears were starting to form again as she felt the sting on her eyes.

"You," The man's low and hoarse voice echoed in her ears.

"... would really leave me?"

Carmela's heart sunk upon hearing the man's voice. She never heard him so dejected. Her eyes gazed at the man holding her. He looked so broken, far from the bright and cheerful man she met two years ago.

Huh, two years. It's been a long time.

"Don't go, please." He whispered, begging. Carmela closed her eyes brimming with tears. Oh, my sweet Tora.

"I can't." Her voice shuddered.

"Why?"

Because I don't belong here.

If she could only say those words. If she could only say the truth. The truth of her existence. The fact that she came from the future, reincarnated into the body of the girl in white.

"Ms. Tolentino!"

Professor Amanda De Guzman can't help but yell at her favorite student. The other students were already quiet a while back but when they heard their history teacher's yell, they became even more silent. The placid disposition was too deafening. Sensing no reaction from this favorite student of hers, the history teacher could only sigh and motioned the student beside Carmela to tap her.

Carmela felt the weight of someone's hand on her shoulder. Her pupils dilated and a gleam of surprise swept across her eyes. A deep furrow formed on Professor Amanda's arched brows as she watched the girl look around, flustered. It concerned her how different Carmela acted these past few days. If her memory serves her right, she's been acting like this since classes resumed after the typhoon. What happened to her?

"Ms. Tolentino, need I remind you that class is still in session?" No matter how much she favored this particular student, she shouldn't be biased and give her a sermon. Carmela bit her lip and felt embarrassed. It's been a week yet that stupid dream won't fade away.

If it is a dream...

"Ms. Tolentino."

"Huh?"

Professor Amanda massaged her temples. This girl...something is really wrong with her. She closed her eyes and when she opened them she gave Carmela a stern look.

"If you can answer this question, I'll let you off the hook."

Though Carmela looks calm and composed outside, she was panicking inside. Professor! Why must you be so cruel? I thought I'm your favorite student? She cried inside her head.

"What do you call the battle between the forces of the Colonial Philippines and Wokou?"

"Cagayan Battles."

Not only was the students and the teacher surprised by her correct answer, even Carmela herself couldn't believe it. How...? Those words casually slipped my lips. Professor Amanda raised her left brow and continued with the questions, even though she originally wanted to ask only one.

"When did it happen?"

"1582."

"Who led the Captaincy General of the Philippines?"

"Juan Pablo de Carrión."

"How about the Japanese pirates, Wokou?"

"Tay Fusa."

Carmela clenched her hands into a fist. Her heartbeat suddenly doubled. Tay Fusa? That sounded familiar. For the third time, Carmela fell into deep thought. It's a good thing Professor Amanda stopped questioning her or else she'll have to endure another homily. The teacher let out a satisfied smile. Looks like I don't need to worry at all. The teacher faced the television situated at the top of the whiteboard and continued her discussion.

Tay Fusa.

Tay Fusa.

Tay Fusa.

That name kept ringing in her ear. For some weird reason, her heart ached. She closed her eyes and kept it shut.

Tay Fusa.

Tay Fusa.

Tay----

Wind whooshed through the windows. Since the typhoon just ended a few days ago, the weather was still chilly. The school advised everyone to not use the air conditioner and let the fresh cool breeze roam around. Carmela's smooth hair danced with the cold wind. The loose curls on the end brushed her delicate face. Most of her hair covered her not-so-high nose and thin lips, leaving her almond eyes visible. It screamed the horror of realization.

"Tay Fusa."