The Girl

"Hey," a voice called out behind Avery as she stretched in the park.

Avery was on an early morning jog, something she'd been working on making a regular habit. She turned to the voice and her heart stopped. It was her. The barista from the café. The café that Avery had quit visiting weeks ago. The girl's round blue-grey eyes glinted with a smile as she jogged over to Avery.

"I think I know you," the girl said with a smile, between catching her breath and taking off her earphone buds.

"Um, hi," said Avery, straightening out from her stretch and facing the girl. "Yeah, you're the barista at that café at the corner."

"Yeah. I haven't seen you there in a while," the girl said. She offered her hand. "Talia. My name's Talia."

"Nice to officially meet you, Talia," Avery responded, taking the girl's hand with a smile. "I'm Avery."

"You run around here often?" Talia asked, motioning to the park.

"I'm trying to make it a daily habit," said Avery, a little shyly. Avery had always been physically active, but not as disciplined as she thought a true athlete should be, and that bugged her.

"That's inspiring," Talia responded, looking genuinely impressed. "I just try and get out when I have the strength to."

"I totally get it. It can be hard."

"Hey, this might sound crazy, because we barely know each other," Talia started. "But what if we buddy up and keep each other going?"

Avery stayed silent for a moment, her eyes a touch wide at Talia's suggestion. Avery was usually confident about herself and she could hold her own in the presence of beautiful women, but everything about Talia was on another level. Even as a barista, she had this vibe around her that screamed she was leagues above Avery. Not to mention the fact that she looked like she'd just walked out of a magazine cover.

And that she was likely straight and just wanted to be friends.

The next words in Avery's mind were going to be a hesitant, 'I don't know...', emphasizing on the negative.

Instead, she said, "Sure."

And that was how Avery and Talia began a friendship that quickly turned into something more.

To say that Avery was ecstatic when Talia kissed her after their morning jog a few weeks later would have been the understatement of the century. Avery had always held back, never sure about Talia. That kiss changed everything. They became inseparable. Avery had never been so happy.

It was on one of their date nights a few months later, that the unthinkable happened.

Avery and Talia were laughing as they walked out of the pub after their date. It had, coincidentally, been comedy night and one of the guys who'd come on was actually good. They were repeating all his funnier punchlines as they walked.

Avery loved the feel of Talia's hand in hers. What's more, she loved to see Talia laugh. It filled her heart with so much affection that she thought her chest might burst open. She drew her close, bumping their shoulders as they walked in the warm summer night. Avery couldn't wait to get back to her apartment. Suddenly, she stopped Talia, faced her, and kissed her passionately right there on the street.

"What was that for?" Talia whispered after.

"I love you," Avery said. Her heart pounded, but her voice was calm. It was the first time either of them had used the L word. Avery waited patiently for the reply.

"Thank you," Talia replied, after a short silence. She gave Avery a quick kiss and then they continued walking. A little more solemn this time.

Avery thought the reply would crush her, but it didn't. That full feeling of utter adoration in her chest was still there. She realised that she'd just wanted to let Talia know how she felt. If she had to wait for Talia to get to where she was, Avery would wait. She'd wait for as long as she had to.