Chapter Two

December 2017

The smell of freshly brewed coffee drags me down to the kitchen before I even get a chance to remember what day it is. By the time I'm slurping the sweet nectar that's probably burning my throat, the doorbell's already ringing and my mom's flying down the stairs dressed for what appears to be tea with Oprah. I look down at my neon green Elf themed pyjamas that have a giant photo of Will Ferrell on the front and tiny Will Ferrell's all over the pyjamas bottoms and grimace. I'm pretty sure the hair mask I put in last night makes me look like a greaseball and the zit cream I haven't gotten a chance to wash away is speckled all over my face.

Of course I forgot, karma sure has a way of finding even the sneakiest of people.

"Mom please don't." I trip over my own two feet to avoid being seen but she's already at the door and despite my best attempts to run from the kitchen to my bedroom upstairs, I'm caught mid action by the entire Shaw clan as they join us for Christmas Eve Eve breakfast.

I can't believe I forgot.

We've had this tradition for as far back as I can remember. Before the Shaws disperse to spend Christmas with their families flung all across the country they always stop by to have breakfast with the Brooks and Mom goes all out to host them. One might say it's the one occasion she gets to prepare a lavish feast for people other than her own children and husband. Had I not been so busy reading my beloved fan fiction all day yesterday I would've noticed her prepping. Still, I suspected with Ryder not having come home as yet and Natalie down with a cold maybe breakfast was cancelled.

But here they are, all four of them staring at me and barely containing their laughter.

Natalie's the first to crack, looking a bit too cheery for someone who seemed to be lying on their deathbed up until a few days ago.

"You should've told me it was a pyjama party Maddie, I wouldn't have bothered with this itchy dress." She tugs at the hem of her demure step father approved lilac knee length dress and looks a little longingly at my attire.

But it's not her reaction I'm worried about. Nope, not at all.

Standing behind his step father George and mother Mindy is a very, very smug Ryder and the way he's looking at me makes me want to take these pyjamas off and incinerate them.

I love these pyjamas.

"Long night Maddie?" He bites his lip and damn him he knows he looks good when he does that but of course I don't notice it, not one bit. I don't notice the way when he takes off his thick winter court he reveals muscled forearms and biceps that strain against the fabric of his shirt. I don't notice the glint of amusement in his eyes, not cruelty when he takes me in from head to toe. He stands tall, looming over all of us in the room and I realise that I missed him. I haven't seen him or heard from him since that fateful night he dropped us at Sam's and I have missed his annoying presence.

"Don't mind her, she was just going up to change weren't you Madison." Mom's eye is twitching. I can't believe I'd allowed Ryder to momentarily make me forget just how horrible I looked. Mom doesn't ask much of me and Sam really, she's easygoing as far as parents are concerned and when I look at George eyeing me with distaste I'm grateful for the set of parents I do have. But I really shouldn't be pushing her buttons like this.

"Yes, of course. I just lost track of time...cooking. You won't believe the amount of work we got done huh Mom? Boy did that apple cobbler give us trouble."

"There's no apple cobble honey but we do have pie." She smiles apologetically at our guests and gives me the meanest side eye.
"Okay then, on that note I'll be right back. Don't start without me and Mindy you look great!"