A Visitor

___ was the ace of Yukigaoka Junior High's girls' volleyball team. It was practice as usual until suddenly ___ noticed someone peeking in the door. It was a short orange haired boy, she had seen him around the halls before. His name was Hinata. "Alright everyone, take five!" ___ called out. "Yes captain!" The girls responded. ___ began walking over to the gym doors.

"You can come in you know," she said. "We don't mind if you want to watch." Hinata carefully stepped into the gym. "So what brings you here?" ___ asked. Hinata fidgeted nervously. "My name is Hinata. I-I was wondering if I could practice with you." Hinata said hesitantly. "I-I love volleyball and I want to get better, but practicing by myself or with my friends from the basketball team isn't enough. There is no boys' team. Would that be alright?"

___ looked at him quizzically before giving him a smile. "Sure thing! I don't mind at all!" ___ stepped aside allowing him better enterance to the gym. "Just let me tell everyone real quick." ___ spoke up. "Hey everyone! This is Hinata. He will be practicing with us for the time being!" ___ yelled out. "Is everyone okay with that?" "No objections here," Hana called out. "I don't mind," Kiku said. "Fine with me," Yumi responded. "Alright, sounds good." ___ said.

"Everyone is okay with it, so you're welcome to join us. What position do you play?" ___ asked. "I wanna be the ace!" Hinata said cheerfully. ___ broke out into a huge smile. "Same as me then!" She said happily. "I'd love to teach you the ropes!" "Thank you so much!" Hinata said bowing. ___ smiled. "You don't have to be so formal you know," she said. "We're the same age after all." "Right, sorry!" Hinata raised his head. "How about you warm up real quick and then we can get started?" "Will do!" Hinata said going to the side of the gym. He quickly warmed up.

"Okay, are you ready?" ___ asked. "Ready!" Hinata said. "Since you wanna be the ace, you should probably focus on your spikes for now. I'll go first and then you can watch me before you try." She said. "Sounds good," Hinata said nodding. ___ walked up to the net. "Hey Yumi! Can you send me a couple of sets?" She asked. "Sure thing!" Yumi said grabbing the ball. She walked up to the net. ___ nodded and Yumi set the ball.

The ball was in the air, a high set just how ___ liked it and she jumped up, slamming the ball to the ground on the other side of the net in a line shot. Yumi grabbed another ball. "Again?" She asked. "Yes please," ___ responded. Yumi set the ball again and ___ jumped up hitting the ball once again, this time performing a cross shot. She landed on her feet and turned around to look at Hinata who stared in awe.

"Those are your two basic spikes," ___ said. "The first one was a line shot. Line shots are good for when you have a straight opening. You wanna hit a line shot straight infront of you." "And the second one?" Hinata asked. "The second one is called a cross shot. I mainly use cross shots when I'm up against blockers and see an opening on the other side of the court." "Which is better?" Hinata asked. "Well, both are good," ___ said. "Line shots are the most common, but personally I prefer cross shots. In order to be the ace you have to be able to do both really well though." She answered. "Oh I see," Hinata said.

"If I were you, I would start with practicing line shots. They are much simpler to perform and are good practice for a beginner." "Okay, I can do that." Hinata said nodding. "So are you ready to try?" ___ asked. "Ready!" Hinata said. Hinata stepped up to the net. "Hey Hinata, I would stand a bit closer to the net if I were you," ___ suggested. "Okay, thanks!" Hinata said taking a couple steps forward.

"Are you ready?" Yumi asked looking at him. "Ready." Hinata said, and Yumi set the ball into a high set. Hinata jumped up and hit the ball, slamming it to the ground. 'I can't believe he hit a high set like that!' ___ thought. 'He's pretty short, especially for a boy, but I've never seen someone jump so high! I was kinda worried that he wouldn't be able to stand up against the usual height of boy volleyball players, but with a jump like that.. He could give them a run for their money.'

"Again?" Yumi asked. "Yes please," Hinata said getting into position. Yumi sent him another high set and he once again slammed the ball to the ground. "You're pretty good at this Hinata," ___ said. "You really never played on a team before?" "No," Hinata said, "I've barely had a chance to play at all. Mostly I've just practiced with my friends from the boys' basketball team. This is the first time I've ever had a decent set." "Well you're doing great," ___ said. "Keep at it!" "Mmhmm." Hinata said nodding. Yumi set the ball once again.

Hinata and Yumi kept up this routine for awhile as ___ observed, offering advice when necessary as the rest of the girls worked on their recieves. Not long later and practice was coming to a close. "Hey Hinata, Yumi, it's getting late. We should probably stop for tonight." ___ said. Hinata sighed, wiping some sweat from his brow. "But I'm not done yet!" Hinata said. "You can work on it some more tomarrow," ___ said. "It's getting late." "You mean I'm allowed to come back tomarrow?!" Hinata asked. "So long as you're serious about volleyball, I don't mind." ___ said smiling.

"Okay everyone, it's getting late so we'll call it a wrap for today!" ___ called out. "I'll see you guys at morning practice tomarrow!" "See ya captain!" Hana said. "Later ___!" Kiku called out. "Thanks for helping Hinata practice Yumi," ___ said. "No problem!" Yumi said smiling. "I don't mind at all!" "Good work today Hinata," ___ said smiling. "You've got a lot of potential!" "You really think so?!" Hinata asked breaking out into a grin. "Yep! Totally!" ___ said. "You can go ahead and head home, I'll clean up the gym."

"Let me help you," Hinata said picking up a ball. "It's the least I can do." "If you want," ___ said shrugging. She grabbed a ball and placed it in the ball cart. Hinata walked over and placed his ball in the ball cart. "So what made you want to be a volleyball player anyways?" ___ asked him. "I was riding my bike past a tv store when I saw a volleyball game on one of the tvs. It was the nationals tournament and there was this team called Karasuno High playing. Their number ten was amazing! He was the ace and everyone called him the tiny giant. When I saw him, I thought to myself, 'I want to be just like him! The star of the court, flying through the sky as everyone watched and cheered.' That's what got me into volleyball."

"That's very admirable," ___ said smiling as she placed another ball into the ball cart before grabbing the big mop. "I started playing watching my big brother play as I was growing up. He looked so alive when he played! I'll never forget the sparkle in his eyes when he talked about volleyball. His entire face lit up, and you could tell how passionate he was about it just from looking at his face. He made me want to play so bad, and eventually I asked him to teach me, and so he did." "That's so cool!" Hinata said placing the last ball into the cart before putting the cart away.

___ had just finished mopping. "Thanks for the help today," ___ said. "Usually I do this by myself, but sometimes Yumi helps me. It's nice to have some help." She put the mop away and closed the closet doors. "Don't mention it," Hinata said smiling. "It's the least I could do after you let me play." ___ grabbed her things and started walking to the door. Hinata followed her. "Nice meeting you by the way," ___ said turning around. She held out her hand and Hinata took it, giving it a shake. "Nice meeting you too ___," Hinata said with a grin. They walked outside and ___ shut the gym doors before locking them. "I'll see you later then," ___ said as she began walking away. "Yeah, see you!" Hinata said. She gave him a tiny wave before heading home. 'This is going to be fun,' ___ thought. 'I can't wait to shape him into an ace! Who knows? Maybe we'll even become friends!'